Burma forum

Possible to enter by air and leave by bus?

  • OTL

    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2013
    Posts: 2

    I plan to fly into Yangon from Bangkok, but on exit I plan to cross the border at Tachileik/Mae Sai and from there take the bus to Chiang Mai. Will I have any problems doing this? I can't really see why I would but you never know. Thanks!

    #1 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 04:46

  • Advertisement

  • steviej

    Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 265
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 32

    The simple answer would be 'no you can't', although if you applied for a special permit which takes approx two/ weeks to sort out and costs, probably, more than a flight back to Bangkok, there's a slight chance you could.

    If you look at your Visa stamp for Burma I'm sure it says 'Not for Land Entry'. So possibly exit too.

    #2 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 08:00

  • OTL

    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2013
    Posts: 2

    Thanks for your help. I knew it couldn't be that easy!

    #3 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 23:41

  • stoneman

    Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Posts: 100
    Total reviews: 9

    If you hear of any positive info re land crossing to be permitted (without the permit option) at Tachiliek please let us know.

    #4 Posted: 25/1/2013 - 03:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee