Burma forum

Visa to Myanmar

• bman88

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2012
    Location United States

I've been told that I can apply for. Myanmar visa at their embassy in Phnom Penh, and it takes about one week to get it. Can someone confirm this, and/or inform me of,what the process is. Also, when flying to Myanmar are you limited to Mandalay and Rangoon?

#1 Posted: 28/2/2013 - 22:07

• Advertisement

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

According to Myanmar Airways International (maiair.com), they are now offering a visa on arrival for people taking flights from Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, so no need to go to an embassy in advance! The cost is quite expensive (6500 THB 1 way), so if you were planning on flying from Cambodia you will end up paying a lot, as I can't seem to find any other direct flights from Cambodia into Myanmar.

Alternatively, you could travel to Bangkok and fly with Air Asia, and they fly to / from Mandalay as well as Yangon. A flight on 28 March (for example) from BK to Yangon was only 1290 THB. There is no visa on arrival available for this flight, but the visa process is quick and easy in the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok. You can arrive there in the morning, apply for your visa, then return in the afternoon to collect it.

So, if budget is an issue with you, I think Bangkok - embassy - Air Asia option is probably best. If you don't mind paying a bit more, take the Mai Air option and no need to go to any embassy!

Good luck :)

#2 Posted: 2/3/2013 - 06:59

• bman88

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2012
    Location United States

Perhaps I can answer my own post, which maybe helpful to others.

I have applied for my Myanmar visa on March 3rd at their embassy in Phnom Penh, and have been told it will be ready March 7th at 3:00 pm. However, they are holding my passport until then which I don't like but that's the process, take it or leave it. The cost was $20.00 and an easy application to complete. They also ask for two passport photos, but I only had one and that seemed okay. I can either fly into Myanmar from Cambodia or Thailand, which will probably have cheaper flights. They do want to know where you are staying and going while in their country, but grab a guide book and pinpoints one places. A rather easy process so far.

Hope this is helpful to others.

#3 Posted: 3/3/2013 - 21:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.