Burma forum

Train timings and pricings

• ktjl

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2013

Hi,

New guy here going to Myanmar in about 2 weeks time, on May 12th. Taking a flight from Singapore to Yangon, reaching at around 10:30 am (anyone happens to be going to Yangon on the same time an day? maybe we can arrange to share a taxi or something )

Anyways, I was planning my trip to Inle Lake from Yangon. My plan is to take the train to Thazi, change to the slow scenic train to Kalaw and then hike up to Inle Lake from Kalaw.

Came across this awesome page (www.seat61.com), with the most detailed train timetables and routes I have ever seen.
    But i am not too sure things have change now (not sure when is the timetable created in that website) so I wanna check with someone who might have the most updated information regarding the train timetables and costs in Myanmar. I did a google and check out some guide books, and the train timings seem to differ from each other a little bit.

Lastly, is there a overnight bus from Yangon to Thazi? If there is, it might be a better choice.

Thanks so much in advance!

Cheers!
    Ken

#1 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 02:23

• Advertisement

• TheLeapingL-
    emur

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2012

Seat61 is up-to-date. Things are changing a lot in Myanmar, but I don't think that they get around to changing something such as train-timetables for a while yet. I regularly photo the train timetables (big printed sign board) and check against Seat61 to see if I can up date them. Never had to yet in Myanmar!

Ask at your hotel when you arrive and they will let you know about buses. Unlike the trains, these are changing to accommodate the requirement of travellers (and the government).

Sharing a taxi - a lot of people book hotels with a free pick-up. They'll be obvious because they'll be standing in a large group not talking! :-) Look around and you see/ be able to ask for someone to share. Much better that you do this BEFORE getting to a taxi. You should pay around 7,000Kyats for the ride to anywhere in the city. Worth having that first night or so booked in Yangon, Mandalay and Inle because of the size of the areas and the distance between possible hotels/ guest houses.

Have fun!
    Elli xx

#2 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 22:49

• ktjl

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2013

Thks for the info! Appreciated it much!

Looks like having a hotel booked first is a good idea..was just thinking of taking the public bus from the airport down Sule Pagoda and save on the taxi fare, haha.

#3 Posted: 4/5/2013 - 02:59

• TheLeapingL-
    emur

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2012

Well, if you do this map will help you. It doesn't look that big on a map, but the blocks are big! Can't fault you and taking local transport is a buzz. I save money in one place and spend it in another! Everyone has their own choice to make.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204087830747834367024.0004d4cd4291dbc9e9f27&msa=0&ll=16.774055,96.169016&spn=0.012656,0.021114

Day time bus is ok. Afternoon can be too hot! Worth looking around still for other travellers. Makes more fun that way :-)

If you get the chance, do the circle line ($1 platform 6/7) and head down to the river and cross over to Dala ($4 return) or just watch the people coming and going there. I love it.

In Inle, spare a day for a cycle ride to the vineyards and other areas around it.

Also, thinking of charity, we took clothes to the Salvation Army (on the map link). They support 3 orphanages. So anything you can throw in to give away is greatly appreciated there.
    Enjoy!
    Elli xx

#4 Posted: 4/5/2013 - 06:28

• ktjl

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2013

woah thats a really nice map there! its gonna be really helpful!

thks alot and of course for the recommendations. Circle line i will definitely try it and its the first time I heard of Dala, if I have the chance I will definitely take a look there too!

And yea, looking for other travelers to share a cab (or to take the bus together, haha) would be the best choice for a backpacker, haha!

#5 Posted: 6/5/2013 - 05:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.