Burma forum

Border crossing through Tachileik

• howpin

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2013

Hi guys,

I will be travelling the Burma soon, would like to visit the places like Yangoon, Bagan, Inle lake, Mandalay.
    I will arrive Yangoon by flight and eventually heading to Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai through Tachileik /Mae Sai, but I'm wondering is that possible to do the crossing and is it simple?
    Any advise would be great!

Cheers

#1 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 21:39

• Advertisement

• Blackartemis

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

When I was there in 2012 you were unable to leave Burma from Tachileik. Nor were you allowed to enter through there and travel much further away. Burma has quite a few limitations on how and where you can cross their borders. However, I do believe there are flights to Chiang Mai from Burma, this may be something for you to consider if you are not interested in landing in Bangkok and going up north that way.

Anyone else know if my advice is still valid? Correct me if I'm wrong!

#2 Posted: 4/8/2013 - 02:22

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I've heard it's sometimes possible to leave via Tachileik but that you need a special permit and have to take an internal flight to get there. I doubt it would be either simple or cheap, even if it is an option.

I don't know of any airlines that fly direct between Chiang Mai and Myanmar? It used to be possible to fly from Chiang Mai to Mandalay (on Air Mandalay I think?) but that route was stopped years ago. I'm pretty sure it no longer existed when Air Asia first started flying to Myanmar.

AFAIK you'll have no choice but to go to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai via Bangkok. At least there's the option of leaving Myanmar from Mandalay as well as Yangon now which saves a lot of backtracking.

#3 Posted: 4/8/2013 - 04:50

• Blackartemis

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

I believe that even with the special permit you have to hire a daily guide and are not allowed out of a certain proximity, so no going to Yangon or Mandalay.

As for flights, I believe www.airbagan.com will fly from Yagon to Chiang Mai on certain days.

#4 Posted: 4/8/2013 - 04:55

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You're right. On their website it looks like there's a flight between Yangon and Chiang Mai on Thursdays and Sundays. I didn't know about that, thanks for the head's up!

#5 Posted: 4/8/2013 - 06:24

• howpin

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2013

Thanks guys for your kind answer!
    I will have to go with the flight then, will check it out!

#6 Posted: 5/8/2013 - 01:31

• stefanimir

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2013

It should be possible by now. They have made an new agreement with Thailand.

"Myanmar will allow visitors using the border crossings of Tarchileik, Myawady and Kawthaung via Thailand to go anywhere except restricted areas starting in August, according to an announcement by the Ministry of Information.The allowance aims to increase the arrival of foreign travellers. In the announcement, the Ministry of Information stated that visitors can go anywhere except where there are security concerns and depart from any exits which the government allows.
    According to the bilateral agreement between Myanmar and Thailand for border crossing, the official entrance and exits are Tarchileik-Mae Sai, Myawady-Mae Sot and Kawthaung-Ranong.
    Aung Win Thein, Department Head of Immigration Administration and National Registration of Myawady district said that as the government reduces the restriction, the job opportunities and tourism industry will show a good signs of improvement."
    Source: Chiang Rai Times! Have fun

#7 Posted: 7/8/2013 - 06:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
I need up to date crossing info on Tachileik/Mae Sai ... By AngusW on 14 Apr 2012 4 1499 15 Apr 2012