Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Gay couple travelling to Burma

Posted by hayles623 on 1/9/2013 at 05:44

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are planning to spend about a month in Burma as part of a 6-8 month trip through SE. Asia.

We know there is a 10 yr-life sentence for acts of homosexuality but from what I understand is rarely enforced.

We wanted to know if anyone had any advice as to how we should avoid offending anyone and of course getting into serious trouble as we can't seem to find a huge amount of information on the topic.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

#1 hayles623 has been a member since 16/8/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 1/9/2013 at 09:14

Well, I just wouldn't go...

But if you really are intent on doing so, then just act like you are travelling buddies. They're all over. Don't do anything that would demonstrate that you are more than travelling buddies. Can't imagine you'd really have a hard time. But if confronted, lie your asses off and lie no matter what under what conditions. Depending upon the "vibe" you give off, you might draw the suspicion of some jerk or other. Under interrogation - in that very, very, very small chance (and I think the odds are better I will win the Thai lottery) that you were detained and question by police, just lie. And never move away from that position.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/9/2013 at 09:23 admin

A good starting point for gay travel in Burma is here -- I'm not suggesting you book a ticket or anything with them, but the general advice will be useful. Purple Dragon has been around a long time and knows what they are on about.

As they say, "a cheerful smile and good humoured flirtation are a great way to make new friends anywhere".

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by MADMAC on 1/9/2013 at 23:46

BTW thanks a ton for using the word "gay" instead of "LGBT". That little non-acronmym is inherently annoying, particularly when people use it as a personal descriptive.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by patjk on 19/9/2013 at 10:32

I wasn't aware there was such a penalty, but nonetheless, there is little enforcement there. I wouldn't make it blatantly obvious that you're gay, but with that said, I don't think there is much to worry about.

Enjoy your trip.

#5 patjk has been a member since 3/9/2013. Posts: 5
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 19/9/2013 at 11:05

Unless they are having sex in public I cant see the issue. A lot of women hold hands and act all gay even though they are straight.

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by MellisaTurner on 20/9/2013 at 05:12

Just behave normally as you both are good close buddies. There is no such issue of roaming around normally. Have a nice trip and enjoy !

#7 MellisaTurner has been a member since 16/3/2013. Posts: 14

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.