Burma forum

1 Month Burma 15th Sep 2013 to 17 Oct 2013

• mitchwest

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2013

Hi Everyone I'm going to Burma/Myanmar soon.
    It looks like it could be quite rainy, but i'm not letting that put me off, at least it should be easy to get hotels.

So we are starting in Yangon and Finishing in Mandalay. We will also overstay our visa by a couple of days, but it seems to only be $3 a day each to go over so no big deal really.
    It is also me and my new wife, so any particularly romantic spots would be good.

Since we are starting south and finishing North we can't do any sort of loop.

So i was thinking heading West from Yangon to Golden Rock and Mawlamyine/Hpa-an

Then maybe up Westish to Muark-U, then to Bagan.

Anyway, why don't i leave it up to you guys, any suggestions on where should go on this 1 month adventure??
    Any nice guesthouses, much appreciated also.
    Should we get the Lonely Planet? or just wing it/use internet?

thanks alot!
    Mitch

#1 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 06:29

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hi Mitch,

I haven't been to Mrauk U so can't comment on that. You've missed out Inle which I think is probably a mistake. It's one of the two top destinations in the country for a reason!

Hpa An I love because of the beautiful karst countryside around there, do do the daytrips. Hpa An town itself is OK I guess but not a must see IMO. I paid $5 for a very basic room w/shared bathroom there, not exactly a honeymoon suite even though I'd happily stay there again because of the owners and the very friendly vibe. There are some other hotels in town which may be more comfortable and have better facilities but I didn't check them out. You can get there by boat from Moulemein (much better scenery than between Mandalay and Bagan) but unfortunately the local wooden ferry I took that stopped at villages along the way to let passengers on and off no longer exists and you have to charter a tourist boat now. I suspect the tourist charters aren't nearly as pleasant and are far more expensive but it's probably worth doing the boat trip anyway for the gorgeous river scenery. I stayed in Breeze GH in Moulemein along with practically every other tourist there at the time. It's got a very nice location on the riverfront and is large enough to get lost in. Very varied choice of rooms, some are huge with antique wooden furniture others are more like prison cells without windows. If I were you I'd mention I was on my honeymoon while booking a room.

The place I stayed in at the "base camp" near the Golden Rock wasn't that great though my memories are vague now, was a long time ago. There could be better accommodation options now. The lorry ride up to the spot where you start walking up to the Golden Rock isn't at all comfortable because you're crammed into the back of a truck and sitting on planks of wood and the road is very very steep. When you're going downhill the plank in front of you almost makes a permanent dent in your knees (might be an idea to bring something that would serve as knee padding for that excursion).

The LP I bought hot of the press for my first visit to Myanmar was so useless I threw it away and I haven't bought another LP book since but an LP researcher was around when I was there in 2009/2010 so I do know they've actually been there. (It wasn't at all apparent in the guide I'd bought). Maybe the latest version is worth buying but I haven't ever looked at it and things are changing very fast there.

#2 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 09:05

• mitchwest

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2013

Hi SBE, I definitely intend on going to Inle.

I was after some advice about how to do the month and which way to go since i'm starting in Yangon and finishing in Mandalay.

Maybe

Yangon
    Yangon
    Yangon
    Train to Bago then to Golden Rock.
    Sunrise at Golden Rock then head to Moulemein
    Moulemein and day trips around
    Same again
    Head back to Yangon and then head towards Bagan, stopping somewhere? suggestions.
    3 days in Bagan
    Then since i'm flying out of Mandalay i guess i don't take the boat there now and head to Kalaw for trekking to Inle
    Trekking to Inle 3 days
    and then 3/4 days in and around Inle

Where else should i go and what is the best itinerary in your opinion?
    I think i still have quite a bit of time

thanks!
    Mitch

#3 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 12:45

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

FYI - In my experience many of the guesthouses will check your passport/visa upon check-in and won't offer you a room if you're visa is expired. So it might be hard to get a room on the days that you are planning to overstay your visa.

#4 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 14:36

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I'm not sure I understand this:

Train to Bago then to Golden Rock.
    Sunrise at Golden Rock then head to Moulemein
    Moulemein and day trips around
    Same again

but it looks like you want to cram too much stuff into too short a time. Every time you move to a new destination (not day trips), it's best to allow a day's travelling time and an overnight stop. Timewise, distances on a map in Burma are not the same as distances at home because transport is very slow unless you're flying.

The bus to Bago took us a good two hours, 3 if you count getting to the bus station and hanging around waiting, and trains are very old and much slower than buses. You could have a look around Bago and spend the night there if you want. (Big paya, very big buddha, weavers and cigar makers, small village with wooden houses to explore a bit away from the main highway). Head on to Kinpun (Golden Rock) and some point next day. Spend the night there. We spent a whole day doing the Golden Rock because it's not something you just nip up to in 10 minutes. The lorry in Kinpun won't leave until it's absolutely full. When I was there they didn't drive that road in the dark (I can totally understand why) so I'm not sure how you were planning to be at the rock in time for sunrise? You could walk all the way in the pitch dark I suppose (5-6 hours?) but it takes a good hour just for the final climb up to the rock from where the lorry drops you off. We did the climb in daylight and took much longer than that because it was very very hot and we stopped to look at stalls and the views along the way. Very steep road up +lots of steps. Some people even get carried up by porters (yes really). If you want to see the sunrise I think you'll probably need to spend the night in a hotel at the top. Porters can carry your luggage up for you but you'll still have to catch the lorry and walk up to your hotel.

Alternatively you could just get the train all the way to Moulemein instead of getting off in Bago (about an 8 hour train ride I think, can't remember exactly). Do Moulemein and Hpa An and do the Golden Rock on the way back to Yangon.

Back to Yangon (another night there) then a decent bus to Inle and get off in Kalaw for your trek down to Inle. You could just go back to Bago and head north on a bus from there but you might not get a seat if you do that. Best chance of getting a good bus and a decent seat is usually to get on at the departure point (ie Yangon). Ask when you're in Bago what the best way to get to Kalaw is. The fare will probably be the same irrespective of where you get on and off. Last time I took a bus from Inle to Yangon it only took 16 hours on a new A/C bus. (That's 5 hours less than it took on a very old and very overcrowded bus in 2005 so it seemed quite easy).

The bus trip between Inle and Bagan is still quite dire AFAIK so maybe fly that bit.

If you've still got tons of time and energy left over by the time you get to Mandalay you could go to Pyin Oo Lwin and then Hsipaw on the famous train ride that crosses the Gokeik viaduct. The train ride was very long and slow but was quite interesting in 3rd class which doubles as an ambulant fruit and vegetable market with people buying and selling stuff through the windows at every stop.

I've never been in Myanmar in the wet season so I don't know if it's worth going to a beach. There are two quite near Yangon though, Chaungtha or Ngwe Saung. Most (not all) of the resorts at the latter were large upmarket affairs but well spaced out so the beach is never very crowded even at Christmas (two years ago anyway, more resorts could have been built since). The sand at Chaungtha wasn't as nice right in front of the hotels but if you're prepared to walk you can have miles and miles of clean empty beach all to yourself. The seafood was good in both places and makes a change from the usual fare. The road wasn't too good after Pathein though so that might be a problem in rainy season.

#5 Posted: 7/9/2013 - 03:32

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks SBE for a tonne of info :-)

If you want to break the trip between Yangon and Bagan, Pyay is a good option. There's a coupla things to see, the food is good and it's easy to reach (I did train from Yangon then bus on to Bagan, though you arrive there at about 3am which wasn't so exciting).

The train is rather bouncy.

Regarding overstaying your visa, you may find this post on the Burma Wire useful. We'll also have a bunch of Burma destination stuff surfacing in the next week or so (finally) on the site -- covering some of the destinations you're covering.

#6 Posted: 7/9/2013 - 04:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
IMPT: New location for getting Burma visa in KL as of 14 Oct 2013! ... By busylizzy on 15 Oct 2013 17 12305 20 Apr 2014
travel mates to Burma - Dec 2013 - Jan - 2014 ... By DanDan on 6 Dec 2013 0 417 6 Dec 2013
Vietnam in May 2013 ... By bismoystud on 13 Feb 2013 6 2475 17 Feb 2013
Phuket - Koh Phi Phi 26 May 2013 ... By DeeDee23 on 21 Apr 2013 0 507 21 Apr 2013
thailand 21-26 jul 2013 ... By iktron on 6 Jul 2013 2 936 7 Jul 2013
NYE 2013 in Vientiane ... By wranger on 27 Nov 2012 14 1697 2 Dec 2012
TET Festival 2013 ... By StevenAM on 4 Jan 2013 9 3028 14 Jan 2013
Vietnam 3 weeks - Feb 2013 - 37/M from UK ... By goblin6 on 7 Oct 2012 4 808 13 Oct 2012
Itinerary for October 2013 - help please ... By happychick021 on 19 Dec 2012 2 2046 25 Dec 2012
SE Asia 2012/2013 ... By smallzz on 18 Oct 2012 1 641 18 Oct 2012