Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Heading North, finishing in Mandalay. Bagan or Inle Lake first?

Posted by mitchwest on 17/9/2013 at 23:59

Hi me and my wife are currently in Yangon

We're going to head to Moulmein, Hpa-an and Golden Rock

But then when we head north we're not sure if we should go to Bagan or Inle Lake/Kalaw first
As we fly out of Mandalay it makes sense for us to head to that area last (including Hsipaw, Mingun etc)

Time is not really an issue.

We were thinking of stopping in Pyay so that would be more on the way to Bagan i think, but its not essential that we go there.

Do you think its better to go Bagan - Kalaw/Inle - Mandalay. Or Kalaw/Inle - Bagan - Mandalay?
maybe better things to see between Bagan and Mandalay which means heading to Kalaw first would be better?

advice please??
Thankyou!

#1 mitchwest has been a member since 20/5/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by mattocmd on 18/9/2013 at 17:43

I think the best route is Kalaw then Inle (Nyaung Shwe). From there you can head to Bagan and go to Mandalay last since you're flying out from there.

#2 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365

Posted by patjk on 19/9/2013 at 10:10

A lot of people hike from Inle to Kalaw, as people organize 3 days trips through the mountains.

Keep in mind Bagan to Inle or Inle to Bagan is like a 12 hour bus ride. Inle is def. worth 3-4 days. Do a hike into the mountains, take the boat tour, rent a bike and bike around, etc.

I did a short trip through Burma a couple months ago, and wrote a report below if you're interested:
http://www.pjkdirect.com/2013/09/my-10-day-trip-to-myanmar-burma

Enjoy your time there!

#3 patjk has been a member since 3/9/2013. Posts: 5
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.