Burma forum

Opinions/Suggestions - Southern Myanmar/Burma

• LoganT

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 68

Hi guys - you all helped me out immensely a few years ago with a Laos trip, so I was hoping someone might be able to give me some thoughts on a Myanmar trip I have roughly planned out. I've done ALOT of internet searching but it is all fairly inconclusive.

I fly into Yangon at the beginning of December and have a flight out of Bangkok 16 days later. This'll be my second trip to Myanmar - I did the "big four" on my last (10 day) trip - LOVED Yangon and Bagan... the other two, less so, although that's not to say I didn't like either of them.

This time I was hoping to see a bit of southern Myanmar & make use of the newly opened border at Mae Sot - so here's a rough idea of my plan so far - any thoughts?

1-Dec- Arrive Yangon (midday)
    2-Dec- Yangon - Pathein
    3-Dec- Pathein - Ngwe Saung
    4-Dec- Ngwe Saung
    5-Dec- Ngwe Saung - Yangon - overnight train to Mawlamyine
    6-Dec- Mawlamyine
    7-Dec- Mawlamyine
    8-Dec- Mawlamyine
    9-Dec- Mawlamyine to Hpa-An
    10-Dec- Hpa-An
    11-Dec- Hpa-An
    12-Dec- Hpa-An - Mae Sot - Sukhothai
    13-Dec- Sukhothai
    14-Dec- Sukhothai then overnight train to Ayutthaya via Phitsanulok
    15-Dec- Ayutthaya
    16-Dec- Ayuthaya - to BKK Airport (hopefully avoiding the need to go into Bangkok) - depart Midday

I'm spending a fair few nights in Mawlamyine & Hpa-An but am assuming I will do day trips from there, rather than just hanging about town for the entire time but I'd interested to hear if people have suggestions of other places to stay.

Yes, Bago & Golden Rock are not on the list. Should they be? I've heard mixed reports from friends & family who have been.

I've also put in a trip to Ngwe Saung - I'm not one for sitting around on the beach but I'd love to go swimming/do some snorkelling - it is worth taking 3 days of my trip out to go to Ngwe Saung for this? Are there beaches nearer Mawlamyine where I could do this instead?

Finally, I'm normally one for going a bit more with the flow & not planning my trip so far in advance, but as my previous trip to Myanmar showed, accommodation books up early, and you need to be organised esp. in December, plus given that Myanmar is not cheap & with the ATM situation, it would be good to have a rough hotel budget in place before I leave.

THANK YOU!

#1 Posted: 21/9/2013 - 10:14

• Advertisement

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I'd add another day to Pathein. Check out the umbrella workshop and there's a lovely park near the university. Then head over the the evening food/market stalls.

I recently went to both Ngwe Saung and Chaung Tha beaches. I preferred the latter. Cheaper, better food and easier to meet people. I didn't try to snorkel at either beach but I heard the water isn't clear enough. But the body surfing was great.

#2 Posted: 22/9/2013 - 21:57

• LoganT

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 68

Thank you - any thoughts on where I should drop a day in favour of more time in Pathein? Also, do you have any recommendations for accomdation in Pathein, Ngwe Saung and Chaung Tha?

#3 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 03:09

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

In Chaung Tha, Shwe Hin Tha Hotel is the best overall option and it's located directly on the beach. Hill Garden Hotel is another fine option...it's a group of bungalows on a quiet hill a few minutes from the beach. The cheapest hotel in town William Restaurant and Guesthouse...they had rooms for $8.
    In Ngwe Saung prices were higher for rooms and most were closed for renovation in July. Shwe Hin Tha Hotel (same owners as the one in Chaung Tha) was the best overall option and it's located directly on the beach. If that's full the Silver Coast Beach Hotel (located next door) is a good backup option.
    In Pathein The Pammawaddy is the best overall option. It's clean and located in a quiet side street. Rooms were $25-$35. If that's out of your budget, head over to Sein Pyae Hlyan Inn right across the street. They had rooms for $8 (but they're like prison cells).

#4 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 19:07

• LoganT

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 68

Thank you Mattocmd, this is all incredibly helpful!

#5 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 20:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Opinions and suggestions needed - 4wk trip ... By Sparts on 5 Jun 2009 14 3260 3 Jul 2009
Burma/Myanmar ... By JoHe59 on 17 Jan 2008 1 5407 18 Jan 2008
Do you do Myanmar/Burma? ... By alisonmilliken on 29 Mar 2007 9 8914 6 Aug 2011
How to get to Southern Myanmar and its Beaches ... By relaxedTrev on 20 Nov 2013 9 3397 18 Jun 2014
Photography in Burma/Myanmar ... By 9preciousGems on 28 Apr 2011 8 6643 23 Mar 2012
internet in burma (myanmar) ... By sarahandclau on 20 Dec 2006 7 7137 6 Aug 2011
Travelfish on Burma (Myanmar) ... By somtam2000 on 17 Oct 2008 12 21967 12 Aug 2014
5 days in Burma/Myanmar ... By kanda on 7 Jan 2014 1 838 11 Feb 2014
Burma / Myanmar or Laos ? ... By adapshine on 6 Jan 2013 9 5973 4 Apr 2013
burma / myanmar air travel within and out ... By ilikrshortsongs on 3 Dec 2009 8 5913 6 Aug 2011