Burma forum

Travel buddy for Burma & itinerary advice

• Smbates

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

I have just booked flights to Burma (return to Yangon) from 5th-26th November. Am currently travelling on my own in Vietnam but slightly daunted by visiting Burma so would appreciate a companion - anyone around about the same time (ideally female -sorry guys).

I like to take things at a slightly slower place so am planning to visit the big 4 (Yangon, bagan, Mandalay & Inle lake) but think I may have time for a few nights somewhere ele but struggling to select where. So advice welcome for the most rewarding place to visit outside the big 4. Am hoping to get itinerary sorted in the next week so that when I get to Hanoi I have it with me when I get my visa (have heard they require this). Have emailed a couple of travel agents in Yangon about booking buses and guest houses but not received any replies yet. Slightly concerned that am going to struggle to find somewhere to stay in low-midrange bracket as not very far in advance.

Also don't have a huge amount of dollars with me as trying not to carry too much cash - is it worth trying to get some more dollars before I go or is using ATMs with the backup of the cash I have sufficient? (I know there are lots of discussions about this and that cash is best but couldn't bring out enough cash for my entire trip)

Thanks for all your help

#1 Posted: 29/9/2013 - 00:47

• Advertisement

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Hello Smbates!

Welcome to Travelfish! Glad you're going to check out Burma! I was there for four weeks this year and all I can think about is going back.
    If you're traveling at a slow pace (which is highly suggested) then I think you have time for one or two more destinations.

From Yangon you could consider taking the bus down to Chaung Tha beach. It's a fantastic beach and was one of the highlights of my trip. Great body surfing and fresh fish (look for garlic encrusted snapper!). I was traveling solo and found it a great place to meet others.

Another option is to head to Kalaw on your way to Inle Lake. Kalaw is a charming little town with great trekking and restaurants - a worthy destination in its own right. Additionally it's a great starting point for a two or three day trek to Inle.

#2 Posted: 29/9/2013 - 10:59

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Also

Absolutely bring enough dollars with you for the duration of your trip. See if you can find some kind of secret money belt to keep them safe. Also I'm sure you're aware by now they they must be in pristine condition!

#3 Posted: 29/9/2013 - 11:01

• Smbates

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks for the advice Mattocmd - written up a quick itinerary - what do you think? (Taking advantage of Wutip hitting me in central Vietnam for a planning day) Too rushed? So many places I would like to go but trying to balance it against actually being able to really visit each place rather than glance and rush on. Wouldn't feel the need to be quite so precise but getting the impression need to have all my guesthouses pretty much confirmed before I get there.

Day 1- arrive Yangon
    Day 2 - explore city
    Day 3 - Shwedagon palace. Overnight to bagan
    Day 4 - arrive bagan
    Day 5 - Sunrise at bagan
    Day 6 - bagan
    Day 7 - river boat to Mandalay
    Day 8 - Sunrise at U bein bridge
    Day 9 - Mandalay
    Day 10 - Early morning bus to Kalaw
    Day 11 - Day around Kalaw and arrange trek
    Day 12 - Trek
    Day 13 - Trek & transfer to Inle/trek to Inle ??
    Day 14 - Inle lake
    Day 15- Inle Lake
    Day 16 - Inle Lake
    Day 17 - Inle Lake, overnight to Bago ?is this possible - read about in the reverse direction
    Day 18 - day exploring Bago
    Day 19 - Back to Yangon
    Day 20 - last day in yangon
    Day 21 - fly out

#4 Posted: 29/9/2013 - 21:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 weeks in burma - Itinerary advice ... By Dimamah on 9 Jun 2012 5 4132 10 Jun 2012
TRAVEL BUDDY/ADVICE for SE Asia, September 2012 onwards ... By RC2012 on 16 Apr 2012 5 2583 8 Oct 2012
solo female traveler- itinerary help and possible travel buddy ... By cmb2 on 27 Jun 2013 2 1109 13 Jul 2013