Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Getting Burma visa in KL - return ticket required? And other qns!

Posted by busylizzy on 12/10/2013 at 05:36

I will be heading to KL early next week to get my visa for Burma. I've got 2.5 days there - one day to get paperwork sorted/printed and to get USD, one day to drop off application, and one day to pick it up (although I am hopeful that I may be able to pick it up same day).

I understand that I will need some or all of the following:

- A passport with six months of validity
- A photocopy of your passport
- Two passport-sized photos
- A completed visa application form
- A completed employment history (?)
- A printed itinerary (?)
- 110 MYR

QUESTIONS - preferably to be answered by someone who has gone through the process fairly recently...

1. Is there a website to download the application form? (Haven't found one yet...)

2. Employment history - really? Is this just info that I fill in on the application form, or do I need to type/print something up ahead of time? (I understand the need to avoid saying I'm a journalist, etc).

3. Do I need proof of an exit ticket when applying for the visa? ( I'm not sure if I want to exit from Rangoon or Mandalay yet...)

4. Is the printed itinerary really required? Is this just an exit ticket - or do they need a breakdown of where I think I will go? I have also read that this may only be for urgent applications to prove that you have an impending flight... not sure?!

5. Is the current fee still 110MYR? Will they take USD? (I understand they no longer have the dual fee structure for express/normal processing)

6. I will need to get a wheelbarrow full of USD cash somewhere in KL - presumably I will use my credit card to withdraw the cash as I suspect there will be a limit as to how much I can get on my ATM card and won't have time to make multiple withdrawals. Any suggestions on best banks? (somewhere close to KL Sentral or the Burma embassy, or near a train line).

Thanks muchly!

#1 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 12/10/2013 at 05:38

PS - Will be happy to provide a complete update on the process, how to find the embassy, and other tips once I get mine! :-)

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Posted by tazzina on 15/10/2013 at 18:24

Hello there!

Did you find a way?
I'm going there in a few weeks..

Good luck!

#3 tazzina has been a member since 15/10/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 15/10/2013 at 21:18

Yes, I did. But it's important to note that you no longer need to go to the Myanmar Embassy (as of 14 Octobe 2013 - 2 days ago!!). I will post new details in a separate thread shortly.

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Posted by busylizzy on 15/10/2013 at 21:54

Full information on the process and new location is > here

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.