Burma forum

Getting Burma visa in KL - return ticket required? And other qns!

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I will be heading to KL early next week to get my visa for Burma. I've got 2.5 days there - one day to get paperwork sorted/printed and to get USD, one day to drop off application, and one day to pick it up (although I am hopeful that I may be able to pick it up same day).

I understand that I will need some or all of the following:

- A passport with six months of validity
    - A photocopy of your passport
    - Two passport-sized photos
    - A completed visa application form
    - A completed employment history (?)
    - A printed itinerary (?)
    - 110 MYR

QUESTIONS - preferably to be answered by someone who has gone through the process fairly recently...

1. Is there a website to download the application form? (Haven't found one yet...)

2. Employment history - really? Is this just info that I fill in on the application form, or do I need to type/print something up ahead of time? (I understand the need to avoid saying I'm a journalist, etc).

3. Do I need proof of an exit ticket when applying for the visa? ( I'm not sure if I want to exit from Rangoon or Mandalay yet...)

4. Is the printed itinerary really required? Is this just an exit ticket - or do they need a breakdown of where I think I will go? I have also read that this may only be for urgent applications to prove that you have an impending flight... not sure?!

5. Is the current fee still 110MYR? Will they take USD? (I understand they no longer have the dual fee structure for express/normal processing)

6. I will need to get a wheelbarrow full of USD cash somewhere in KL - presumably I will use my credit card to withdraw the cash as I suspect there will be a limit as to how much I can get on my ATM card and won't have time to make multiple withdrawals. Any suggestions on best banks? (somewhere close to KL Sentral or the Burma embassy, or near a train line).

Thanks muchly!

#1 Posted: 12/10/2013 - 05:36

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

PS - Will be happy to provide a complete update on the process, how to find the embassy, and other tips once I get mine! :-)

#2 Posted: 12/10/2013 - 05:38

• tazzina

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2013

Hello there!

Did you find a way?
    I'm going there in a few weeks..

Good luck!

#3 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 18:24

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yes, I did. But it's important to note that you no longer need to go to the Myanmar Embassy (as of 14 Octobe 2013 - 2 days ago!!). I will post new details in a separate thread shortly.

#4 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 21:18

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Full information on the process and new location is > here

#5 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 21:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Outbound Air Ticket Required? ... By hsoa on 18 Apr 2011 4 2895 16 May 2011
Siem Reap - Bangkok..Onward ticket required?!! ... By jbolger on 26 Mar 2007 3 2729 27 Jun 2011
yes you need a return ticket to enter thailand ... By bekk on 4 Nov 2010 28 9802 27 Feb 2013
Will I be turned away if i arrive with no return ticket? ... By siddy on 16 Oct 2010 10 6372 25 Apr 2011
Problems entering vietnam without a return ticket out of vietnam? ... By Matty161 on 19 Aug 2013 6 1446 29 Aug 2013
Transit visa in BKK required?? ... By bismoystud on 2 Feb 2014 1 307 5 Feb 2014