Burma forum

I'm buggered! Any poss of getting same-day visa in KL?

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

OK - I thought I had done my research, but somewhere along the way I lost sight of the fact that today is a public holiday in Malaysia - which means that I couldn't get to the Myanmar visa today as planned. I now only have tomorrow (Wed) to drop off the application and pickup up the visa (ie same day) before my early morning flight on Thursday.

Has anyone ever had experience getting a same day visa in KL recently? I've read that Bkk is the only place where you can do this. I am hoping that is old info! From what I understand, they stopped offering same day express service and it's now a standard 20-day turnaround. I am hoping this is wrong!

If that is the case, I will have to resort to my best charm and/or tears at the embassy tomorrow, I guess. Otherwise I'll have to change my flight to Yangon until Friday - but probably at great expense.

Any good news to cheer me up today would be appreciated!

#1 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 03:18

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Oh nooooooo!

Surely you'd have learned after this happening to me TWICE!

Just checked with a friend in KL and they said they THOUGHT the same day service in KL is no more.

Good luck tomorrow.

#2 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 05:44

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yeah, I know. I know.

And it was because of your situation that I knew I had to check. I thought I had done so when planning my week or so in Malaysia. I know I checked the Burmese holidays. I'm feeling pretty stupid right now... and annoyed. And frustrated.

I'm not liking my chances.... I'll have to be ready to turn on the waterworks, I guess.... :-/

Also - just noted a typo in my original post. I should have said I believe they now only offer the standard 2-day turnaround (not 20!). For anyone else reading....

#3 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 06:01

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

This is why I often recommend people arrange visa's ahead of time if they aren't going to have lots of time in a place they can have it done. You never know when things can hold up the government(mine was held up in Cambodia because the king had died but I had enough time it wasn't an issue).

Good luck and if you can't get it rushed hopefully you can change your ticket easy enough.

#4 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 11:06

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The good news is that you CAN get a same-day visa. The gods were smiling for me today - no waterworks required!

BUT.. it's important to note that you no longer need to go to the embassy. I will post a separate thread on this shortly.

#5 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 21:20

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Full information on the process and new location is > here

#6 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 21:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.