Burma forum

IMPT: New location for getting Burma visa in KL as of 14 Oct 2013!

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

As of October 14 2013, the Myanmar / Burma tourist visa processing services have now been outsourced to Ever Fine Travel & Tour (very close to the Masjid Jarmek LRT station) in Kuala Lumpur.

You NO LONGER go to the Myanmar Embassy on Jalan Ampang Hilir.

The good news:
    - the new location is much easier to get to, and find.
    - they will process your visa on same day! Drop off in morning (9.30-12.30) and pickup in afternoon (4-5pm). That gives you time to do a bit of sight-seeing while you wait.

The bad news:
    - the cost is now 140 MYR - and now includes a 30 MYR service fee.

To get there:
    - Go to the Masjid Jarmek LRT station. (I'm unsure which exit as I arrived by taxi from the embassy).
    - Find the Coffee Box shop on the corner of Jalan Tun Perak and Leboh Ampang. (50m or less from the LRT exit)
    - Facing the Coffee Box, walk one door to the right to find the entrance to the Happy Holiday Hotel. Go into the lobby and into the lift. (There is also a big sign indicating that this is the entrance to Ever Fine Travel & Tours).
    - Go up one level to Floor M in the elevator.

The process:
    I arrived at 9.00 am and there was no one there so I was served immediately. They gave me the application form to fill in. (Details included name, address (home, KL and Myanmar), passport details, father's name, height, hair colour, eye colour complexion, profession).

They requested the following:
    - the application form
    - two photos
    - one photocopy of my passport
    - one photocopy of my exit ticket
    - 140 MYR

and they gave me my receipt and told me to come back between 4-5pm. A very simple and pleasant process in a nice modern office.

This link for Happy Holiday Hotel gives you an idea of what the Coffee Box corner looks like!

#1 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 21:51

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Here is a photo of the flyer that was sitting on the counter at the Myanmar Embassy this morning.

20131016_095041.jpg

#2 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 21:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Phew!

Thanks for the report back and glad to hear you'll be getting a visa afterall!

#3 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 22:02

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You have no idea how happy I am right now, as I kill time drinking a bottomless cup of coffee at McD's across the road!

This new same-day service has saved me losing a NZD$200 flight plus the cost of a new flight, AND the hassle of having to commute the next day from LCCT Tunes back to the embassy AND an extra night at Tunes.

I am one happy camper right now! :-D

#4 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 22:14

• tazzina

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2013

Great news busy lizzy and thanks for the report -very helpful!
    I'm flying to Thailand where I want to get a visa to Myanmar but I don't have a return ticket...
    Do you think it's gonna be a problem?

Thanks

#5 Posted: 16/10/2013 - 05:42

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yep I do. They specifically asked for mine.

#6 Posted: 16/10/2013 - 17:32

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Some other points I forgot to mention:

- they have a photo service available if you don't have passport photos (10 MYR)
    - there is a photocopy shop across the road from the CoffeeBox if you need to get stuff copied. (Don't know if they do printing from USB though...)
    - there is also a money changer around the corner from the Photocopy shop.
    - the passports are still sent to the embassy for processing. When I went back at 4pm to pick my up there was a delay of 20 minutes because they hadn't arrived.
    - hang on to you receipt as they call out the receipt number to hand the passports back out (not your name).

#7 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 04:34

• OMandri

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2013

Thanks for this post busylizzy!

Came very handy and right on time. Got my visa sorted in less than 5 hours!

For those who are planning to apply with them in KL, please note, even though I have explained that I'm planing to enter Burma overland from Tachilek and return flying from Yangon to BKK (thus had only one way ticket out of the country), they still insisted that I have to submit both flight tickets in and out of Burma.

#8 Posted: 15/11/2013 - 04:35

• annalouisas

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

i'm amazed you can't get a visa directly from the embassy in KL. any more. or does this only refer to the one-day visas that are more expensive at the embassy too ?

#9 Posted: 23/12/2013 - 09:42

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

For whatever reason they decided to outsource the processing of ALL visas, not just tourist visas. It looked like the embassy was still processing other requirements for the Burmese nationals though...passports, etc.

Personally I think it's a good thing. The new location is much convenient, less crowded and a more comfortable if you end up having to wait around. It's just a pity that they added the service fee.

#10 Posted: 23/12/2013 - 16:36

• Advertisement

• annalouisas

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2007

thanks busylizzy.
    we'll be there in a month to see 4 ourselves. so good thing you blogged this latest news. saves us a nice headache.

anna

#11 Posted: 23/12/2013 - 17:37

• bendappa

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2014

Hi Friends

Does anyone know if this new visa office is open on Saturdays? I cant find out anywhere and cannt get in touch with them direct, as they dont reply to emails...

many thanks

Ben

#12 Posted: 3/2/2014 - 19:58

• annalouisas

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2007

hi
    if i remember well i think i've seen 6/7 days per week open. but if you want your visa the same day you'd have to go there early morning. they make you come back the next day otherwise. don't know how much more it costs, we paid 140 MR per person and got our visas back the next day in the evening,

there's an interesting map in the agency office of Myanmar and the places tourists can go without or with special permits.

anna

#13 Posted: 4/2/2014 - 04:28

• dannyjacob

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2014

thanks for sharing, busylizzy! Your post is very useful.

#14 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 08:17

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

I'd love to see a copy of that map Anna mentioned. Does anyone know of where a current one might be available on the net?

Pete

#15 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 16:07

• annalouisas

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2007

go see http://annasoenen.wordpress.com, it's on the Yangon page around 6 feb. there's more stuff about Arakan State as well.
    i use this blog as a diary but u're welcome to have a peek.

#16 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 05:48

• oliviamayh

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2014

Does anybody know if the place is open on weekends?
    I arrive in KL on May 3rd (Saturday) and have a flight booked to Myanmar for Thursday the 8th. This is surely enough time to get a visa (Canadian passport)?

#17 Posted: 20/4/2014 - 19:01

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yes, that will be fine. As I said, they gave me mine on the same day. Head there on Monday morning to be safe. Just check to see whether any of those days are holidays for either Malaysia or Burma -you can Google it..

#18 Posted: 20/4/2014 - 23:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
1 Month Burma 15th Sep 2013 to 17 Oct 2013 ... By mitchwest on 5 Sep 2013 5 906 7 Sep 2013