Burma forum

Traveling by land - intermediate stops?

• apeiron75

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2013

Hi all

I will be flying to Burma at the beginning of November and I will have around 15 days available to travel around the country.
    I will start from Mandalay, boat trip to Bagan, then Inle Lake and finally Yangoon.
    I know that traveling by bus might take a long time, but I'd still prefer this way for Bagan-Inle Lake, and Inle Lake-Yangon. Now, do you suggest any intermediate stop during these two long trips?
    :)

Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 05:51

• Advertisement

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Hello aperion75,

I like your itinerary. I visited those four destinations using the bus system. They aren't bad rides, especially if you take the VIP night busses. On a side note, can you believe that one of the rest stops during one of my long bus rides was equipped with free WiFi?

Pyay might be doable on your way to Yangon. Another suggestion that I've been making is stopping at Kalaw on your way to Inle Lake and trekking from there.

Or you could just spend more time at your four destinations. Here's a few things you might want to consider:

Yangon
    -Spend half a day taking the circle train!

Inle Lake
    - Hmawbe Market is said to be the most interesting of all five-day markets held in the area. You'll see people of the Pa'o tribe trading a variety of items including buffalo and cattle. A great opportunity to get well off the beaten path.
    - Wine tasting at the Red Mountain Winery. Good wine and great European food! (a nice break from rice!)
    - In Dein is a 90 minute boat ride from town and the area contains 1,054 ancient stupas from the 11-17th centuries. You'll also see rarely visited floating villages and gardens.

#2 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 08:41

• apeiron75

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2013

Hi Mattocmd,
    thanks for your hints. I will check the places you suggested.
    Did you also travel by bus for the trips Bagan-Inle and Inle-Yangoon? How was your experience? Easy to catch, overpacked, comfortable..? :)
    Night buses make sense as I save one night in hotel and i dont lose a day, but on the other side I was also tempted to travel during light hours to see the landscape..
    well, I guess i will decide that later.. :)

#3 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 10:01

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I traveled the entire country by bus and found it to be completely fine. Easy to catch, not overpacked and comfortable, especially the VIP busses. Sometimes they blast the A/C so bring a pair of pants and small blanket if you can. I had a laptop with some movies and TV shows to help pass some of the time. A beer or two at each rest stop isn't half bad either.

#4 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 18:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Traveling Visa for Land Travelers!! ... By MarkusArails on 28 Jul 2014 7 631 31 Jul 2014