Burma forum

Crossing land borders and travelling by bike in Burma

• ewcyna

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2013

Dears,

I am about to travel by bike in Asia and definitely want to visit Burma. I was happy to hear about a few land crossings open but then the information is a bit unclear to me .. and I am busy doing my planning now.
    Well, the question is: can I enter Burma, travel there by bike and leave country by land crossing, too?
    I know I have to obtain visa beforehand and it is for 28 days only.
    Thank you in advance for your help!

#1 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 04:24

• Advertisement

• sapote

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2009

hi there, i am bicycling in north Malaysia and into north Thailand starting dec. i too have wanted to bike in Burma but could not find any open land crossings. also i have the impression it is much more expensive. i do hope i am able to go at some time and will be eager to hear your reports.

#2 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 19:14

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I have no first hand knowledge, but this article might be useful:
    http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/burma/2013/08/new-burmesethai-land-crossings-opened/

(Something I bookmarked recently...)

#3 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 09:08

• ewcyna

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2013

Thanks again, but actually I've read this article before and now again and still want to make sure, sorry!
    Looks like I can enter the country but cannot travel there freely?

#4 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 11:09

• tourister

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2013

@ewcyna - familiar face from travelbit;go there to "Asia",open thread about autostop in Asia.They have special department "autostop" but I mean "Azja".Or google "autostopemprzezzycie" - it may work.
    One autostopowicz has entered Burma through MaeSot(near Tak) - you can read about it in his blog.
    Some cyclists from PL are doing the same way right now;I will try to contact them for you.
    I will also send you priva in TB about something else.
    pozdro!

#5 Posted: 26/10/2013 - 03:49

• ewcyna

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2013

@tourister thanks for info - will look to your links.
    Actually this week I visited the embassy of Burma in Berlin, they confirmed that entering the country by land by bike is possible.

#6 Posted: 26/10/2013 - 06:17

• nue_travell-
    ing

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2014

Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014

Hello to all the passionate travellers out there!
    My girlfriend and me plan to cross Myanmar with our own car in either August or September this year (2014) as part of our raod trip from Australia all the way back to Germany. According to our current knowledge crossing this beautiful country is not as difficult as it used to be. Mainly it is a matter of money. Since the government still charges high prices on entering with own cars (using a local licensed tour operator is mandatory). These costs can be reduced significantly if enough cars (people) can be found to join the group. We have found such a local licensed tour operator in Myanmar who can organize all kinds of tours with own cars in Myanmar but it is up to us to find other people who are interested in joining us (like I have said to make the high costs of such a tour organization affordable). We want to enter Myanmar coming from Thailand and travel on to India. If you are interested in joining us in the second half of August or in September please contact us: nue.travelling[AT]gmail[DOT]com - if anyone has information about other groups already planning something similar please let us know likewise!
    Kind regards,
    Enrico and Nadine

#7 Posted: 30/5/2014 - 21:27

• relaxedTrev

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2013

yes it is very possible and easy to take your bike in a border.

you have three borders to choose from if your comming from Thailand

Ranong crossing- very bottom of Myannar, the first 200km of road is almost unrideable, suggest you take the ferry to Myeik and start from there.

Phu Nam Ron Crossing- Most recommended, is closest to Bangkok and ends up in Dawei. for more info google "Phu nam ron border crossing" basically from kanchanaburi thailand it is 70km to the border you can sleep in Phu Nam Ron, from there 145km mostly downhill to Dawei, there are trucks and minivans too if you dont want to ride it all. Dawei is nice, freindly and good beaches.

Mae Sot - very windy and a reasonable sided hill, comes out at Hpa-an myanmar. a big day on the bike but can be done. hpa-an is awesome lots of caves and things to see.

would sugggest comming in Phu Nam Ron and exiting Mae Sot or vise versa.

as long as you have your 28 day visa comming in one of these three borders you are free to travel about in myanmar.

have fun...

#8 Posted: 19/6/2014 - 00:07

• ewcyna

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2013

Thanks for the info.
    Well, I have already cycled Myanmar in February. Flew in but left by Mae Sot land border making it over the hill.
    Loved the country and the people even though had a bit too much of police or secret police interest since they followed me often.
    But still Myanmar is a highlight if my bicycle Asia tour.

#9 Posted: 19/6/2014 - 07:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Can multiple entry visas from vietnam visa choice be used at land borders? ... By JohnGroats on 10 Nov 2014 1 174 10 Nov 2014
Crossing Borders with a Scooter? ... By esocha on 21 Jul 2010 0 1655 21 Jul 2010
Crossing borders with diazepam / valium in SE Asia ... By onefatmonkey on 11 Jul 2011 2 12852 12 Jul 2011
Crossing Myanmar by land ... By Indiantraveler on 2 Feb 2012 5 3152 15 Feb 2012
crossing over land from Myanmar into Bangladesh ... By Rukus on 1 Feb 2013 2 3353 21 Jul 2013
how many times border crossing by land? ... By cicerosf on 1 Oct 2011 5 2911 6 Dec 2011
Business visa at land crossing? ... By Kaitlynnicole02 on 2 Feb 2014 2 879 8 Feb 2014
Crossing into Myanmar from Thailand via land ... By karynelder on 29 Feb 2008 1 4988 29 Feb 2008
Do I Have To Declare At Land Border Crossing? ... By barleydoggy on 15 Sep 2014 3 459 16 Sep 2014
Crossing into Cambodia over land - as dodgy as I read? ... By alt on 17 Jan 2012 20 3900 11 Feb 2012