Burma forum

Myanmar Help

• EliCharlie

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2013

Little help needed. Heading in to Mandalay on the 29th October... flying from Bangkok.

Firstly.. I keep hearing conflicting reports as to getting visa on arrival or visa beforehand... has anyone done it recently? Or know the answer... I thought it was fine now to pay on arrival for 30 day tourist visa?

Secondly... with the recent banning of Homestays in Mandalay and Yangon and possibly now all over the touristy areas of Myanmar. what are budget travellers doing for accomodation? Because I know there was already a hotel shortage....

Essentially I am looking for someone who can ease my mind. I have travelled Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, a little of Indonesia, and almost all of Thailand, but am very worried about travel In Myanmar being currently a lot harder, with money going to the government and not the people, a lot of fighting in different areas. Plus I travel alone and one of my favourite things about it is meeting people when I arrive somewhere. Without home-stay's, I'm also worried about going mad with just my own company.

Can some one either confirm or hopefully put an and to my worries. Because I want to see this country at its most authentic and ethical... and right now I am considering the thought that it maybe wiser in a year or two to get exactly what I want from the country... when infrastructure and politics are hopefully improved.

Any help appreciated.

#1 Posted: 26/10/2013 - 01:58

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Little late to the game on this one...

a) Visa on arrival: No go. You need to get your visa beforehand. Bangkok and KL are popular spots for this.

b) There are still budget (by Burma standards) places to stay across the main destinations -- they're just guesthouses rather than homestays.

c) Re $$$ to the government, this remains an issue, but more problematic are the cronies - see my post here regarding this.

#2 Posted: 29/10/2013 - 19:24

• natalie_rae

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2012

Hi Eli,

I followed my parents to Burma (with a break of about 30 years) after growing up on stories of the Burmese people being the most beautiful people in the world. Although the statement sounds saccharine, we really did find the everyday Burmese to be gentle, open and warm people. English is widely spoken and many Burmese are interested in you and in sharing their own culture/history. So, I wouldn't worry about not meeting people/being lonely.

Money will go to the government - it is inevitable. However, you can still inject money directly into the local economy easily - hire a few guides, buy off small stalls.

You will need to pre-book accommodation - travelfish has a post on this.

#3 Posted: 1/11/2013 - 17:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.