Burma forum

Should you book in advance for high season travel in Burma (Myanmar)?

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just added a blog topic on the topic of needing to book hotels in Burma in high season which may be of interest to those planning on heading to Burma soonish.

Cheers

#1 Posted: 28/10/2013 - 10:16

• Advertisement

• grapesaresw-
    eet

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2013

Well, I'm visiting Burma this summer of 2014 but I've already booked my flight tickets. I need not to book for hotels since I have big families and houses there. My advice is to book as soon as possible. I feel that you have more choices that way and can get a lot of deals.

#2 Posted: 3/11/2013 - 13:14

• donortravel

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2013

I have been to Burma numerous times and the last 3-4 trips, most of the hotels in the major centres are totally booked out so I would really recommend to anyone now visiting to book in advance. I have found the only way to do that was through a long term highly reliable tour guide (Soe Soe at kosoesoemdy@gmail.com) because the hotels are so over booked they simply don't even bother to reply to emails. The other side of that is the fact that many hotels don't have staff who are confident enough with their English to respond to an email. One option if you do arrive and haven't got a room booked, is to head up to the hill top town of Pyin Oo Lwin because it is much quieter and cooler than Mandalay and I can also tell you in the summer months, you will pretty glad to get out of that sticky, noisy, dirty dustbowl of Mandalay.

On a side note, I have just used the services of Soe Soe yesterday again to go to the Yenanthar leprosy hospital (about and hour from Mandalay) to make donation. The money goes to both the hospital and the leper village. Well worth doing. Todays tour was to some monasteries and waterfall surrounding Pyin Oo Lwin. stunning scenery.

#3 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 07:42

• dan74

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2014
    Location Italy
    Places visited:
    At least 34

Hallo everybody...i was in Myanmar for 25 days during january (High season) and i booked just in yangon because i arrived late in the evening. On the other places (bagan, mandalay and in le ) i preferred to check directly on site and was not difficult to find rooms available. I highly recommend zwagi inn in nyaungshwe...the concrete bungalows are very nice and the staff is really great (30 USD per night). Before starting my trip i had big expectations about Myanmar but unfortunately i haven't seen so beautiful places...nothing so unforgettable as thailand or Cambogia for example. The country is very affordable about food And shopping but accomodation is really overpriced compared with other countries in Asia (average cost is 30 USD for a BASIC double room...sometimes not so clean). And prepare Your intestine...infections are very common!

#4 Posted: 21/2/2014 - 10:34

• dannyjacob

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2014

Hi Dan74,

I am sorry as you did not enjoy much with your trip to Burma but I found it truly pure and non-touristic, not like Thailand and Cambodia, despite it may seem to be in the future. Everywhere I set my foot on, I met the friendly local people who were always willing to help, and the spectacular landscapes.

For the accommodation, well, it is a big issue which the country is coping with. Anyhow, I think Burma still much worth a visit for any tourist this year.

#5 Posted: 22/2/2014 - 02:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
High season Burma ... By joaquin55555 on 3 Oct 2013 8 1664 11 Feb 2014
burma / myanmar air travel within and out ... By ilikrshortsongs on 3 Dec 2009 8 5706 6 Aug 2011
Cost of High Season Vs Low Season ... By rledez1990 on 25 Mar 2012 5 5401 28 Mar 2012
To book or not to book (in advance) and other questions ... By arundhati on 9 Dec 2013 5 945 20 Dec 2013
Ko Phi Phi - Book in Advance? ... By alexahart on 10 Apr 2012 6 1967 11 Apr 2012
high season ... By barrylad66 on 10 Mar 2008 2 2889 11 Mar 2008
High vs Low Season ... By rledez1990 on 25 Mar 2012 2 2555 25 Mar 2012
How far in advance should I book accomodation? ... By danudy on 15 Feb 2009 4 3419 16 Feb 2009
Book hotels in advance or not? ... By shaungt08 on 3 Mar 2013 10 3838 10 Mar 2013
book in advance for christmas ... By pia2am on 11 Aug 2009 7 2184 12 Aug 2009