Burma forum

From Inle Lake to Yangon, stop in Bago?

• apeiron75

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2013

Hi all

I am planning my upcoming trip to Burma and I was wondering if anyone did travel from Inle Lake to Bago by bus? Is there any connection? I would like to stop in Bago on the way to Yangoon, rather than going to Yangon and take a day trip to Bago. I have checked the web but could not find much..

Thanks for any hints!

#1 Posted: 30/10/2013 - 17:39

• Advertisement

• natalie_rae

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2012

Hi aperion,

We did catch the bus from Inle to Bago when we were in Burma in January of 2012. Ended up in Bago at 3.30 AM instead of 5.30-6:00 am and were dropped off at the tea house (which was open - bunch of dudes were watching soccer and drinking tea - which was kinda surreal)

Bago is definitely worth a day or two. We hired two guys to take us around for the day on bikes - with bikes you can easily 'see' the main sights (associated with San Francisco Motel). The monastery is definitely worth a look - although the tourist avalanche (and corresponding) behaviour that occurs during meal times (when there is a procession by the monks to the meal hall) was embarrassing and quite frankly, I wish we hadn't been there (lesson learned).

We enjoyed it - the range of religious sites is interesting and rather different to Bagan.

We stayed at San Francisco motel - which was pretty crummy to be honest. The noise from the street was unbearably loud (the sonar system of horn beeping seemed to reach an in-country high). There were also ants on the ceiling that kept falling onto us/the bed, all night. However, the people were lovely. I would look at paying a bit more if either of those things bother you.

There wasn't too much in the way of food.

#2 Posted: 1/11/2013 - 00:45

• apeiron75

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2013

Hi Natalie,

many thanks for the information. Do you remember what time did the bus leave Inle (from Nyaung Shwe?)
    Ideally I would like to spend one day in Bago and then head to the Golden Rock before going back to Yangon.
    Let's see if I can make it. I would probably have to shorten the stay at Inle Lake to two full days rather than three to leave tme for Bago ..

#3 Posted: 1/11/2013 - 07:51

• natalie_rae

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2012

Hi aperion,

From memory, the bus left in the afternoon (around 4 I think). You can ask your guesthouse (we stayed at Aquarius Inn, which was nice and gloriously clean). Personally (and this is obviously my own opinion), two days is fine in Inle. Unfortunately, my memories of Inle are a little skewed, as I had feet covered in blisters, a mild case of the runs and period pain - not exactly in the greatest frame of mind. Maybe someone else can jump in and give you their opinion.

#4 Posted: 1/11/2013 - 17:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Yangon - Inle Lake Transfer ... By blazej on 19 Dec 2009 2 6932 6 Aug 2011
Trying to visit Yangon-Bagan-Inle Lake in 8 Days by land- possible? ... By suswati37 on 26 Dec 2010 4 9565 6 Aug 2011
Cheap Hostels in Myanmar? (Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake) ... By Spasmic on 12 Jan 2014 1 1924 12 Jan 2014
Burma southern circuit - Yangon - Malawmiyne - Hpa an - Golden Rock (Kyaikhto/Kinpun) - Bago ... By KirstyB on 9 Feb 2012 4 9104 18 Feb 2012
INLE LAKE,October Tip ... By bootstar on 22 Jul 2011 1 2335 6 Aug 2011
Mandalay or Inle Lake ... By johnthornton on 9 Mar 2011 5 7143 6 Aug 2011
Is Inle Lake worth it? ... By linjingyi on 10 Apr 2010 13 12926 6 Aug 2011
Mandalay to Bagan to Inle Lake ... By igormozzilli on 6 Feb 2014 9 10882 16 Jun 2014
Accomodation in Bagan and Inle Lake ... By sunnyzak on 12 Dec 2010 7 11398 6 Aug 2011
cost for trekking to Inle Lake ... By ccalvin09 on 5 Sep 2011 1 2538 20 Oct 2011