Burma forum

New $100 Bill

• Sherwood

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2013

Is the new $100 bill that went into effect recently, the only one banks will accept? I'm traveling in mid January.

#1 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 08:52

• Advertisement

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

I would not even think of travelling with $100 bills!!!
    Think more 10, 20, 50's
    Had a big problem in Burma with big bills so wouldn't do it again

Mike

#2 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 15:45

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

You had a problem with 100s? I had no problem at all. Any of the major banks were happy to exchange for them as well as the hotels that I stayed at for a few nights.

Sherwood, I can't answer that question but would assume that the major banks are up to date with the latest versions of US $100s. Bring a mix of them (in perfect condition) and have a visa or mastercard debit card as a backup.

#3 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 18:41

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I had no trouble exchanging $100's into kyat at the bank branches. Also used them a few times at hotels to pay for flights, hotel rooms etc without any problem (and got my change in smaller USD notes).

Not sure about whether or not they have to be the latest.. I wouldn't chance it though - get the new ones. I had a bit of a battle with a money changer in KL to try to get new, unblemished bills. He eventually relented, pulling a stack of shiny bills from the bottom of his drawer.

#4 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 18:44

• dslash01

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2011

Anyone have experience using the newly issued US 100 bill?

#5 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 19:09

• mizzfoo

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2013

I just came back from Burma two weeks ago and I had no problem with exchanging the new $100 bill. I had it exchanged at the Mandalay airport.

#6 Posted: 26/11/2013 - 18:45

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

A friend arrived at Mandalay last week with the new bills. The first exchange booth refused them because they were "too new". The second exchange booth exchanged them no problems at all.

You'll be fine.

#7 Posted: 29/11/2013 - 04:28

• dannyjacob

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2014

It has long been the advice passed on to visitors to Burma: Bring crisp US dollars, nothing else is accepted here.

But the continuing insistence of money changers that cash is untainted threatens to stain the country’s reputation in spite of economic reforms.

Many ticketing agencies, airlines, small currency exchange shops and private banks’ exchange counters will turn away old or damaged, or even slightly crumpled, dollars. Imperfect currency might be accepted, but often at much lower exchange rates—despite strictly bearing the same value.

Source: Irrawaddy.org

#8 Posted: 11/2/2014 - 08:34

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

It's too late for you now Sherwood as you have probably been and gone by now but for others....

We were there is January and the new bills were accepted everywhere. Note though, even in the big banks, the lower the denomination of a US note, the lower the exchange rate. e.g, (and not current rates) $100 and $50 notes were about 880k, $20-$10 notes 860k etc.

Be very careful if you receive US dollars for change that they are pristine or else you are stuck with them. It's a way the locals offload dirty, creased or marked bills. You will have to bring them home or use in another country so not all bad.

We saw a lot more ATMs around in the larger cities and towns than I was expecting. We bought all our money with us so didn't have to try one. We assume they worked, but with patchy internet in a lot of places, we were glad we didn't have to rely on them. They are a good back up thought if you run out of cash I'm sure. We even found 3 at the Shwe Dagon temple in Yangon!

No credit cards accepted in any of the supermarkets we went to.

If you're going, you will enjoy the places and the people. It's great.

Pete

#9 Posted: 12/2/2014 - 16:41

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

Following a re-read of Sherwoods intial post...

No. Banks, money exchanges and businesses will accept both old and new notes as long as they are pristine.

Pete

#10 Posted: 12/2/2014 - 16:44

• Advertisement

• Sherwood

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2013

Hi Gang,
    My gal and I just left Myanmar today after 28 days and we're off to Cambodia tomorrow. Everything Pete said is spot on. I carried a bunch of pristine bills and used the local currency nearly the whole time, the exception being the gov't entrance fee for Inle Lake (where they literally hit us coming of the bus for $10 each) and the $1 for circle train in Yangon. You will also get hit up in Bagan when you go to that real touristy pagoda, your guesthouse will give you the name. As for us we avoided it and never got asked anywhere else. I do think it's loosening up as I was able to exchange a rolled up crinkled bill from my money belt after "smoothing" it out. Have fun. I'll be happy to answer any other questions, when I can.
    Sherwood

#11 Posted: 13/2/2014 - 10:02

• JackDan

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2014

Actually, you get more money for big bills. I had no problem whatsoever with $100 bills as long as they don't have any markings/folds/ceases.

#12 Posted: 24/2/2014 - 04:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.