Burma forum

How to get to Southern Myanmar and its Beaches

• relaxedTrev

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2013

The 2013/14 summer is the first time in 50 years that overland travel on along this lush coast has been permitted. Here is how to get there....by intercity bus, flight, train or boat.
    Before you ask, unfortunately the Mergui Islands are still restricted to those with prior permission from Nay Pyi Daw (as at Nov 13), but the mainland has plenty of history, culture and barely discovered beaches for the adventurous to enjoy. Maung Ma Kan, Nebule, Myawyik Island, She Moe, Palaw beaches just to name a few

#1 Posted: 20/11/2013 - 09:44

• Advertisement

• OE2014

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2013

Thnx 4 t info [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

hw long frm Thailand 2 Dawei by road - n wht resrts r at da beach????

#2 Posted: 23/11/2013 - 02:31

• relaxedTrev

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2013

Hello,
    The drive from the Thai side Phu Nam Ron (67km west from Kanchanaburi) to Dawei takes approximately 4.5 hrs. the crossing is still a work in progress as the Myanmar Immigration get their systems in place, they are very polite and its incredibly low key.

Resrts???
    Did you mean Restaurants?
    There is a good number of coconut styled family run eateries at the beach(Maung Ma Kan Beach), very nice seafood, very fresh. cost $2.5-$5 for a main.

Or did you mean Resorts?
    There are no resorts there thankfully, there is one small scale bungalow guesthouse and two others being built, in addition there are plenty of places to stay in Dawei city 20 min away.

Hope that helps

#3 Posted: 26/11/2013 - 03:59

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Ohhhh thanks for sharing this. I'll be going soon!

#4 Posted: 26/11/2013 - 08:23

• relaxedTrev

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2013

Photos of the beaches plus descriptions of how to get there ..... http://www.southernmyanmar.com/beaches-2/

#5 Posted: 14/2/2014 - 20:23

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Nice beaches. They need resorts if they want people to visit. Also need boat tours.

#6 Posted: 18/2/2014 - 01:22

• Bulcotecowb-
    oy

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2014

The beaches of the Dawei peninsula are well worth the effort of getting to. See here .. http://myohmyanmar.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/no-need-to-archipelago-try-the-beaches-on-the-dawei-peninsula/

#7 Posted: 15/3/2014 - 19:29

• YeMeansWater

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2014
    Location Myanmar / Burma
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 3

I'm living in Ye, which is a 5 hour bumpy bus ride north of Dawei. Can take a slow, bumpy train as well. Ye (pronounced Yay!, which means 'water' in Burmese) is a town of about 40,000 people. There are many lovely Buddhist pagodas, and at least two monestaries where foreigners are welcome to practice meditation. English speaking translators are available.

#8 Posted: 15/5/2014 - 22:41

• YeMeansWater

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2014
    Location Myanmar / Burma
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 3

When I came to Bangkok to renew my business visa, I traveled 6 hours by bus from Ye to Dawei (pronounced da-way, by da way!) through the night. Cost 6000 kyat, or about $6 US. The road was twisty through the mountains and is in the process of being paved. Piles of crushed rock line the way through most of that leg of my trip. I arrived to the Dawei bus station at sunrise, hoping to book another bus to Htii Kii, at the Myanmar/Thai border. Buses don't go that way, so I opted for a van. The Toyota Commuter van was in great shape and the driver was very good. I was given a choice to pay either kyat (35,000), dollars ($35) or Thai baht (800). I paid in baht because 800 is only about 24,000 kyat, or $24. Not sure how that worked out, but I was happy! The trip was stunningly beautiful, most of it through a river valley. Plenty of natural jungle instead of the typical rubber tree and betel nut plantations that are all too common in Myanmar. I arrived at the Htii Kii immigration office 6 hours after leaving Dawei. Stamped out, then it's another 4 or five miles to the Thai side immigration office. I hired an ice cream vendor to take me on his motorbike with sidecar. I had missed the bus that runs to Kanchanaburi bus station (10 am and 6 pm). One of the Thai immigration officers (all were really friendly) called a local guy with a car and, for 500 baht, he drove me to the Kanchanaburi town bus station. Took about 45 minutes. I immediately got offered another van ride to Bangkok... only 110 baht, and no waiting!
    Although it took a long time to get from place to place, everything about the journey was very efficient.

#9 Posted: 17/5/2014 - 07:21

• elreidon

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2014

I am heading to Burma tomorrow, flying in to Mandalay. Haven't got a strict itinerary yet but we were hoping to see some of Southern Myanmar.

Does anyone know what the weather is like in Dawei/Myeik in July? Would probably be there early/mid July!

Thanks

#10 Posted: 18/6/2014 - 23:23

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Getting to Myanmar's best accessible beaches b ... By Bulcotecowboy on 15 Mar 2014 0 656 15 Mar 2014
Opinions/Suggestions - Southern Myanmar/Burma ... By LoganT on 21 Sep 2013 4 1203 27 Sep 2013
Southern Cambodia beaches and travel ... By forever_stoked on 29 Mar 2009 1 2057 30 Mar 2009
Travelling from Malaysia to Southern Thai Beaches ... By caseyrebecca on 1 May 2008 5 2901 10 Aug 2010