Burma forum

Myanmar through eyes of a local

• Jeanneke

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2013

Hi there,

I'm 24 years old and I would like to make a trip to Myanmar for 14-21 days. Have not decided yet if I want to do this on my own or in a small group. What I do know is that I want to see Myanmar through the eyes of a local, using public transport instead of a personal driver, seeing places that you would never get to see with a touristic travel agency. I would love for instance to overnight in a buddhist monastery. I wont go between November-Febrary, just to avoid too many tourists.

I assume I should contact a local agency, or maybe I could organise this whole trip on my own. I dont know.

Maybe you could have some tips for me?

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks in advance for your tips.

Kind regards!

#1 Posted: 29/11/2013 - 01:42

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm in Burma at the moment and have been for the last three weeks.

In my opinion there is no need to take an organised tour or get a personal driver. Travel with locals is straightforward, albeit at times uncomfortable, slow and you'll often by paying double -- or triple -- what the locals are paying. Double pricing here is rife.

If you want to sleep in a monastery, one way to do so is to do a 3-day Kalaw to Inle trek as one of those nights is spent sleeping in a monastery. Foreigners are no longer permitted to stay in the monastery at Nyaung Shwe so you can scratch that one off your list.

I wouldn't write off Nov to Feb on the basis of high tourists numbers -- yes the key four destinations are busyish (Inle is mental) but most other places are very quiet.

With 3 weeks you could cover perhaps 4-5 spots comfortably. Just bear in mind travel between locations can be very very slow.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 29/11/2013 - 04:25

• 66manoj44

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2013

Hi friend,
    Go along your friends, trips are more enjoyable with friends.
    Use local transport and services if you really want to experience some thing.
    Make note that travelling time will be more , plane journey accordingly.
    -thanks in advance

#3 Posted: 29/12/2013 - 13:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.