Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Pharmaceuticals in Burma

Posted by pete61 on 15/12/2013 at 19:59

We're travelling in Burma in Jan. In Cambodia,Vietnam and Laos I have bought anti malaria and antibiotics at pharmacies for a fraction of the cost compared to Australia. No script needed either.

Are these basic drugs available in Burma (heading out from Yangon), if so are they cheap and will I need a prescription?

Thanks, Pete

#1 pete61 has been a member since 27/9/2009. Posts: 39

Posted by SBE on 16/12/2013 at 20:58

You probably won't need a prescription but many of the pharmaceuticals sold in SE Asia are counterfeit. I'd be especially wary of drugs bought in Burma, particularly if you're relying on them to save your life. Even if they aren't fake it's highly likely they haven't been stored properly or are past their sell by date.

If you really want to take doxycycline or whatever you're probably better off buying from a reputable high turnover pharmacy in Bangkok or KL before you get to Yangon.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by pete61 on 26/12/2013 at 19:26

Thanks SBE, good point.

It looks like I'll have to get a script and sort it here in Aus before we go.
Pete

#3 pete61 has been a member since 27/9/2009. Posts: 39

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.