Burma forum

Pharmaceuticals in Burma

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

We're travelling in Burma in Jan. In Cambodia,Vietnam and Laos I have bought anti malaria and antibiotics at pharmacies for a fraction of the cost compared to Australia. No script needed either.

Are these basic drugs available in Burma (heading out from Yangon), if so are they cheap and will I need a prescription?

Thanks, Pete

#1 Posted: 15/12/2013 - 19:59

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You probably won't need a prescription but many of the pharmaceuticals sold in SE Asia are counterfeit. I'd be especially wary of drugs bought in Burma, particularly if you're relying on them to save your life. Even if they aren't fake it's highly likely they haven't been stored properly or are past their sell by date.

If you really want to take doxycycline or whatever you're probably better off buying from a reputable high turnover pharmacy in Bangkok or KL before you get to Yangon.

#2 Posted: 16/12/2013 - 20:58

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

Thanks SBE, good point.

It looks like I'll have to get a script and sort it here in Aus before we go.
    Pete

#3 Posted: 26/12/2013 - 19:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.