Burma forum

Alcohol in Burma

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

Can I buy scotch such as Chivas or Johnny Black in Burma?
    If so, is it expensive or should I buy some duty free in Singapore.
    Thanks, Pete

#1 Posted: 30/12/2013 - 19:06

• Advertisement

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

Well I can answer my own question now - we've been!

Yes you can buy reasonable and better scotch in Burma. We found a couple of bars around that sold scotch as well as their own version which we didn't get to try.

Best we saw in the larger towns/cities were in their supermarkets. All the Johnny Walkers up to Gold were available as well as Chivers, 12yr Dewers, some single malts, a few Cognacs, Vodkas, Pastis, great local beer and wine from Burnma and some parts of the world. Prices were a little cheaper than duty free in Singapore. Myanmar beer is really good. We even tried a Spirolina beer - it keeps you young!

There was a pretty well stocked duty free shop at the Yangon airport as well.

We loved Burma, hope you do too.

Pete

#2 Posted: 9/2/2014 - 16:16

• dannyjacob

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2014

Thanks for your useful information, Pete!

Glad you found your favourite drinks and enjoyed them. If possible, let us know something about your trip.

Cheers,
    Dan

#3 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 09:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.