Very General Myanmar Question

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Who has good ideas of say 2 (maybe closer to 3) weeks in Myanmar. Would likely come in overland from Thailand and need to get back to BKK via overland too unless can get some cheap flight tickets.

Part of me was considering the Tanintharyi Division from Rangoon, but don't have ANY IDEA about travel times and such or even destinations in that area . .. and would also like to get up to Bagen of course but wonder if with the time we'd have we need to just stay in the Rangoon and Mandalay area.

Any thoughts or advice welcome!

#1 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 02:12

• Advertisement

• VeloFellow

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2014

Hi,
    I just completed a cycle tour from Siberia to Yangon and crossed into Myanmar at Mae Sot/Mywaddy border. Although I crossed by bicycle I know you can travel by a combination of bus/private car as I saw a couple of other tourists do that. So you can come and return back to Thailand on that route. The road from Mywaddy to the first town Kawkareik is a mountain road and is in horrible condition, but offers amazing scenery and views. There are nice towns on the way such as Hpa An and Thaton, but what is really amazing is the rural areas in between with small villages, beautiful landscape and amazing stupas and temples that few foreigners ever visit. I would recommend some of those areas (but you would need to rent a motorbike or bicycle in Hpa An and go explore on your own).

You can see some pics of Myawaddy to Kawkareik here
    https://cyclingtoburma.shutterfly.com/3015

and pics of Kawkareik to Yangon in this album
    https://cyclingtoburma.shutterfly.com/3108

Enjoy Burma and hope you don't have a sensitive stomach lol
    Mark

#2 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 18:42

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Casey,

The southern strip still requires a boat trip - I THINK it is the stretch from Dawei to Myeik that you are still not allowed to overland along, but I'm not 100% on that. You can enter/exit via the crossing by Ranong in the south and Mae Sot in the north, but you can't overland the whole strip.

I've not been south on Yangon yet, so can only comment on the north, but in 2 weeks you could do something like enter via Mae Sot to Hpa an then back track to Mawlamyine, then north to Yangon. From there you could head to Pyay then Bagan then Mandalay and exit on a cheap AirAsia flight to Bangkok, or Meiktila to Kalaw and Inle, then Mandalay and exit. With three weeks you could cover both these legs - the local bus network, at least between hubs, is pretty comfortable and affordable.

If you want to overland in and out you'll either need to backtrack and leave via the same Mae Sot crossing, or do the southern trip as you've suggested, on fly domestically the last leg in Shan state to get to Kengtung so you can exit into Mai Sai .

Cheers

#3 Posted: 8/1/2014 - 18:54

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Thanks. I'm rather attracted to Hpa & Mawlamyline - any suggestions on about how long you would spend in each spot. Also, with Yangoon and Mandalay thrown in I'm afraid we may have to give Pyay a skip . . . but will make that decision on the road. Still trying to get our Visas taken care of as my buddy doesn't have business cards and suddenly that is making it a problem.

#4 Posted: 8/1/2014 - 20:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
General Question ... By martina100011 on 1 Apr 2014 5 904 17 Apr 2014
General Question ... By edward10001 on 28 Mar 2014 3 514 1 Apr 2014
General Question ... By jackson10001 on 27 Mar 2014 6 1317 26 Jun 2014