Burma forum

Photos of my Myanmar trip

• Harry05

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2007

Hi guys,

Just returned from a great four week trip in Myanmar and thanks for all the input and advice on this forum. If you want to see my pisc use this link http://www.flickr.com/photos/wereldreiziger/sets/72157639479468885/ .

To watch them just click on the first photo and if you want to watch a slideshow open the first photo and click on the three dots on right hand corner below the photo.

Hope you like them and of course any questions are welcome.

Harry.

#1 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 08:00

• Advertisement

• SikKelowna

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2011

Wow, fantastic Photos! !

You make me want to detour to Myanmar, it's always been on my list of places to see and it looks Amazing!

Great photography and it looks like you had a amazing time, thanks for sharing!

Chris

#2 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 20:03

• smartlyndy

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2009

Your photos are stunning! Thanks for posting them.
    We are going for 4 weeks in June so I might get back to you with some questions between now and then.

Lyndall

#3 Posted: 8/1/2014 - 07:37

• dannyjacob

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2014

They are exactly what I did see when visiting Burma (Myanmar) last year, still a pure country and it has not been spoilt as Thailand was.

Thanks for posting your beautiful photos!

#4 Posted: 12/2/2014 - 23:53

• Terry001

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2014

Thanks for sharing your lovely pics.

#5 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 07:11

• elreidon

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2014

Hi Harry

Your photos look incredible. I am heading to Burma next month for 4 weeks and was wondering the route you took and what were the highlights?

Many Thanks

#6 Posted: 19/5/2014 - 17:54

• Harry05

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2007

Was in Myanmar also for 4 weeks. Decided to take my time in several places, which worked out very well. Skipped Yangon and started and ended in Mandalay (coming from Bangkok with Air Asia). My route was:
    * Mandalay – a lot of beautiful things to see in and around Mandalay (Mahamuni Paya, monastaries, U Bein Bridge, Mingun, Inwa).
    * Bagan – one of the highlights especially at sunset/sunrise. Nice looking/cyling around there, was also lucky to see a novice monk initiation in one of the villages.
    * Inle Lake – skip the standard tour (too much “shopping”), think about what you (don’t) want to see and let you make a tailored trip (maybe sharing with other people). Also very nice to see the monastaries in Nyaung Shwe and cycle around the lake.
    * Kalaw – nice hikes around Kalaw.
    * Lashio – almost no tourists, but not that much to see IMO.
    * Hsipaw – very nice hikes around Hsipaw and to the villages further away.
    * Kyaukme – used a motorbike/driver to visit the villages further away.
    * Very special train ride from Kyaukme to Pyin Oo Lwin over the Gokteik Viaduct. Buy a ticket for the ordinary class (2 USD) to sit between the local people, also lower windows if you like making photos.
    * Pyin Oo Lwin – no that special IMO also not the Kandawgyi Gardens.
    * Back to Mandalay.
    Have a look a the titles of my photos and decide what you like most. One of the highlights of Myanmar are the very friendly people, so take you time meeting them.

#7 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 04:38

• elreidon

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2014

That sounds almost identical to the route I had in mind!

We are thinking of flying from Bangkok to Mandalay , spending a few days there and then starting off with the train ride route to lashio visiting hsipaw-kyaukme- Pyin oo Lwin etc. taking a few days to do this. What do you mean about the kandawgyi gardens?

Then thinking of travelling on to kalaw and trekking to Inle Lake, spending some time there then heading to Bagan .

After this is think we will travel to Pyay and finish in Yangon as our flight are from there.

What time of year did you travel? The only think I am worried about is how wet it will be....we will arrive in Mandalay 20th June and leave Yangon 17th July. I know Bagan is meant to be fairly dry in July which is why we thought we would do this later.

I also wanted to take some time in each place and talk to the people, especially as I am interested in how Burma is changing and developing and am hoping my trip will provide me with a useful insight and research for my university dissertation. Is there anywhere you would recommend spending more/less time?

Many Thanks!

#8 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 05:26

• Harry05

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2007

Kandawgyi gardens: Of course a matter of choice but I liked the people and the villages more than the gardens. After travelling for 4 weeks if I had to skip something it would be for example Pyin Oo Lwin and the gardens.

Travelled in december and january, great weather everywhere. Fresh nights, blue skies and no rain.

Take a good guide they can tell you a lot about the history and the current situation in Myanmar like one of the guides of Lilly the Home ( Hsipaw ) or Joy (Kyaukme). But also at unexpected moments you might meet someone who speaks english and can tell you something about Myanmar (although some people were very shy I found out).

Would take my time in/around Mandalay, Bagan, Inle Lake and do a 2 or 3 day hike around Hsipaw or Kyaukme.

#9 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 06:37

• Travis_Chia

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2014

Wow! Amazing photography. Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos Harry.

#10 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 06:42

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.