Burma forum

If you could spend 10 days on the coast of Burma..

• jbreyfogle

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2014

Only 10 days here: arrive in Yangon Saturday midday, return for flight the Sunday a week later.

I'd rather have to fly two or three times during the trip, and was thinking about spending most of the time roaming around the coastal regions, and spending time on the beaches. Maybe spending time in Thanton, Bago, Mawlamyine, Hpa-an. But I definitely want to see a few beaches and lounge around a bit.

Will be traveling with my partner in late March.

Any suggestions for a nice itinerary?

#1 Posted: 3/2/2014 - 13:54

• Advertisement

• relaxedTrev

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2013

First night in bago then

I really like Hpa -an i would do two evenings there and see the caves and trek a little. one night i think isnt enough

bus or better boat if you can (depends on availability) to Mawlamyine , see the massive reclining and sitting Buddha, plus its a nice city great evening market so you will eat well.

the beaches around Mawlamyine are still delta muddy, so i would advise you catch the bus or train from there to Dawei $10, which has the first awesome clear water and white sand, stay at the Maung Ma kan bungalows, maybe 2 or 3 nights. the beach at maung ma kan is ok but the reall great beaches are 10-15 miles either side so during the day make daytrips to Myawyik Pagoda beach, Nabule Beach or Shae Moe all of which are clear water really spectacular and without many tourists

http://www.southernmyanmar.com/beaches-2/

then fast ferry to Myeik spend the a day or 2. pearl market, fishing, trip to the one island near the city is permitted (myeiks beaches are not as nice, but water front is interesting)

then fast ferry through the Archipelago see all the islands, amazing trip shame your just not allowed to step off the boat onto the islands without prior permission.

from Kawthaung you can spend a day the coastal road out towards the airport and parker beach is nice views.

then thanks to overland borders for 150 bhat you can jusp on a longtail back to thailand or catch a flight back to yangon which ever you perfer

i know i packed in alot so if you only make it to the beaches arund Dawei then you can also overland via Phu Nam Ron crossing, the Dawei to bangkok road is only 350km

hope this was useful

have a great trip

#2 Posted: 3/2/2014 - 23:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey relaxedTrev,

is the site you're linking to in a lot of your posts a commercial site? ie a travel agent? If so, we don't allow it sorry.

Thanks

Stuart

#3 Posted: 19/2/2014 - 22:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Where to spend new year on West Coast of Thailand ... By alau81 on 12 Oct 2009 4 2276 13 Oct 2009
Where to spend Christmas in Burma? ... By elgeras on 4 Nov 2009 5 4057 31 Aug 2011
Where to spend New Years Eve in Burma/Myanmar ... By jimp41 on 29 Sep 2013 2 1195 2 Oct 2013
One week to spend in Burma at the end of March. Suggestions? ... By jbreyfogle on 24 Jan 2014 2 1085 10 Feb 2014
10 days to spend in Thailand - Where to go? ... By jamesb_ on 9 Jan 2012 6 1704 10 Jan 2012
20 days: advice on how to spend? ... By amz155 on 31 Dec 2008 11 1778 5 Jan 2009