Burma forum

Mandalay to Bagan to Inle Lake

• igormozzilli

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 19

Hello, 2 questions :)

I'm looking some infos to plan my trip between, as the topic title say, Mandalay- Bagan -Inle Lake. Anyone knows how much the ticket for the boat from Bagan to Nyaung U and where to buy the ticket? I know there are some different options, a tourist boat faster and expensive and a "normal" boat, I'm looking infos on the second one.

My second question is how to get in Inle Lake from Bagan/Nyaung U? is there a Bus or a Train and what do you suggest?

Thanks guys for helping!

(sorry for my english, I do my best :D )

#1 Posted: 6/2/2014 - 04:33

• Advertisement

• dannyjacob

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2014

Hi,

The later boat would cost around 10$ as far as I know, but it takes some 15 - 17 hours boating. Just ask the staff of the hotel in Mandalay for reservation it is better than booking via agent.

I find this useful, hope this helps you some: http://burmasenses.com/burma-destinations/bagan/

For the transportation from Bagan to Inle Lake, I suggest you take a bus. It is more comfortable than train. The hotel in Bagan could help you with this.

#2 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 09:22

• igormozzilli

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 19

Thank you so much!

#3 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 09:23

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

This August I intend to take the overnight bus from Bagan to Kalaw. Same bus probably travels on to Shwenyaung. Decided the bus was more practical than the train. Though being 58 I'm not looking forward to it haha. I believe the train goes from Bagan to Thazi then you have a wait of many hours for a connecting train to Kalaw/Shwenyaung.

#4 Posted: 25/3/2014 - 05:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@stoneman - I've done Thazi to Kalaw both on the roof of a bus and a train. It is a spectacular trip -- the train, while very slow, comes down a series of switchbacks - stunning stuff -- try and come back on the train if time allows.

Some pics from the ride on the van are here

Cheers

#5 Posted: 25/3/2014 - 20:51

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia

Somtam2000,sounds like your trying to sell a poor old man of 58 years a ride on top of a van or train lol. As much as I feel I'm still a somewhat adventurous traveller I do seek out those creature comforts these days. Thanks for the link. I had read your trip report. I don't miss much when I'm researching the net. Evenblogs/reports from 'extreme' travellers haha.

With planning comes compromise. Decided to travel Bagan to Kalaw overnight as daylight time is my priority. No sitting around on my backside for this old man. Intend to take the train from Kalaw to Shwenyaung so will enjoy the scenery on that ride. No backtracking, flying Heho down to Yangon (currently waiting for the airlines to publish their Summer Schedule).

#6 Posted: 26/3/2014 - 03:51

• igormozzilli

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 19

Hi everybody I'm back from the trip in Burma so I can reply to my question :)

The ticket for the boat, you can find it in any tourist info point, from Nyaung Oo to Mandalay is 35$ (Shwe Keinnery cruise, the Malikha was out of service) and it works until 1st April, they sell this as a spectacular trip but I found it quite boring, most of the time the same scenery and the boat took about 14 hours to get in Mandalay, I'm referring on the period while I'm writing so March/April, I guess in a different season the scenery could change and the boat can go faster, however I'm happy to got the boat trip because I really hate Bus Trip (and Burma people doesn't like Air Con, so they keep always the windows opened....damn).

From Inle to Bagan there is a Bus, I got it for 12$, very easy to find where buy it, the travel is about 9 hours and the bus get very busy 'cause the locals sit in the central aisle with plastic stool as well as in the other SE countries :)

I add one more info to this post: about Mandalay to Inle Lake/Nyang Shwe, I took the train and I really enjoyed this experience, the train is very slow, dusty, dirty and not really comfortable but you can see so many villages, people and easily talk with locals guys, I really suggest to anyone interested about this route to take the train. The cost is 7$ from Mandalay to Thazi and leaves at 15:00 arriving at 17:46, you have to spend a night in Thazi (I suggest Moonlight guesthouse, very friendly staff...rooms are very simple but I enjoyed the warm atmosphere), the second train (7$) From Thazi to Shwenyaung depart at 5:00 am arriving at 14:50 (this is the slow and stoic train), then take a share taxi ride to Inle.

I hope that someone could find useful my infos and sorry for my english again! I do my best :)

bye bye and enjoy traveling!

Igor

#7 Posted: 7/4/2014 - 09:55

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia

Thanks for the updated info Igor. Don't worry, understood your English well enough. Sounds like you enjoyed your visit.

#8 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 04:02

• chengywong

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2014

Hi travelers,
    I just came back from Myanmar early this year after a challenging 11-days trip. I hereby would like to share my trip itinerary which we did extensive research. Hope the attached link helps and happy planning.
    http://chengywong.blogspot.com/2014/04/mingalabar-discover-burma-myanmar-in.html

#9 Posted: 15/6/2014 - 09:10

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia

Chengy Wong, thank you for your time & effort. Lot of good info for travellers researching their visit to Myanmar.

#10 Posted: 16/6/2014 - 06:16

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Heading North, finishing in Mandalay. Bagan or Inle Lake first? ... By mitchwest on 17 Sep 2013 2 1145 19 Sep 2013
Cheap Hostels in Myanmar? (Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake) ... By Spasmic on 12 Jan 2014 1 1377 12 Jan 2014
Mandalay or Inle Lake ... By johnthornton on 9 Mar 2011 5 6354 6 Aug 2011
Accomodation in Bagan and Inle Lake ... By sunnyzak on 12 Dec 2010 7 8175 6 Aug 2011
Trying to visit Yangon-Bagan-Inle Lake in 8 Days by land- possible? ... By suswati37 on 26 Dec 2010 4 8800 6 Aug 2011
Yangon to Bagan/Mandalay night bus ... By aik_yong2002 on 20 Aug 2013 1 4128 27 Aug 2013
Transport for Mandalay-Bagan in August ... By reublim on 5 Jan 2013 6 2416 9 Jan 2013
Bagan to Mandalay Overnight Travel ... By reublim on 2 Jun 2013 10 2091 10 Jun 2013
Express Boat from Bagan to Mandalay ... By grak88 on 19 Mar 2012 1 2083 30 Mar 2012
Opinions on tourist boat from Bagan to Mandalay? ... By antoniamitchell on 27 Apr 2014 4 1090 4 May 2014