Burma forum

Burma in hot April during New Years

• injekt

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2014

Hi everyone,

I am planning to go to Burma in April - during the hottest time of the year. I have also only 9 days including travel time. I don't particularly enjoy the heat and hate that I have such a short period of time, but it's the only time I have the opportunity to go.

The cities I plan to visit are Yangon , Bagan , and Inle Lake. We have decided to save Mandalay for another time.

Right now my itinerary is as follow:

April 9: Arrive to Yangon
    April 10: fly from Yangon to Bagan (arrive early in AM)
    April 11: Bagan
    April 12: Bagan
    April 13: fly to Inle Lake (arrive in AM)
    April 14: Inle Lake
    April 15: fly back to Yagon (arrive in early evening)
    April 16: Yangon
    April 17: fly out of Yagon

A few questions:

1) Reading a few forums, everyone says that you should allow more time for Bagan. I've pretty much given 3 full days. Given how hot it will be, do you think that I should reduce this time and allow more time in Inle Lake instead? Unless there is much more to do in the city, I'm afraid I might not make it with the heat/sun exposure visiting the pagoda - I think I might be able to pull off a day at most (we will probably be taking the horse cart option as biking seems suicidal at this point). So do you think 3 days is too much?

2) We will be visiting Burma during New Years - Water festival. I'm both intrigued but apprehensive at the same time. The festival looks incredible, but at the same time most guide books I've seen say that everything will be closed and shut down. Will we, as tourists, have difficulty eating out and walking around (we hit New Years when we arrive in Inle Lake, and the celebration ends when we'll be in Yangon). Will it be extremely difficult to get around?

3) Finally this is a strange question, but I suffer from an immense phobia of snakes which has impaired my travelling plans in the past. It's an actual phobia, not just a fear. I've been wanting to visit Burma for so long but when I researched around (as I always have to do with anyone of my travel destination) - it seems that they are common everywhere - living in pagodas, etc. everywhere. Is this true or have I just read horror stories?

Any help would be tremendously appreciated!

#1 Posted: 12/2/2014 - 08:29

• Advertisement

• dannyjacob

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2014

Hi,

I see you again here. :)
    Personally I think 2 days enough for Bagan and you should spend more time in/around Inle Lake. I have visited the country late last year, so do not know whether we will run into any difficulties finding places for meals during the festival or not.
    For the snake do not worry as they are fed in some of the pagodas which I can tell in Inwa (Mandalay), Bago, and Mrauk U.
    Again, enjoy your trip! :)

#2 Posted: 12/2/2014 - 21:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Where to spend New Years Eve in Burma/Myanmar ... By jimp41 on 29 Sep 2013 2 1461 2 Oct 2013