Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi,

I've noticed a lot of posters giving their experience in Burma mention getting very sick. I've also been reading the wires and noted from this post about curries in Burma: "It'll have been prepared in advance, not cooked to order and not re-heated."

I suspect that, and the amount of oil in some dishes, helps explain why so many tourists seem to get ill in Burma (although a large amount of oil should theoretically help keep the food safer by insulating it from the air).

So my question is: does anyone know at what time in the morning most restaurants actually cook? What I really want to know is: if you turn up early, when the restaurant first opens, are you likely to find the food has only just been cooked and is still piping hot? Do the teashops serving breakfast cook the noodles to order, or will those all be sitting around at room temperature too?

When I travel, I normally eat a basic breakfast, skip lunch, and then have a hot meal in the evening.... wondering if, from a food safety perspective, it would be better to have an decent hot meal in late morning (or whenever the restaurants first open) instead?
    Yeah, I know I'm over-thinking this. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks

#1 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 02:27

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

On my first trip to Burma last year I was there just over two weeks and lost around 10 kilos.

I'm almost 100% on which was the dish that made me so ill -- I'd had it three times in two days and I think the third time around the cook or the server just hadn't washed their hands. It's very much luck of the draw in this regard, and I tend to eat anything and everything.

On my second trip, I continued with the same eating habits and wasn't sick once in over 3 weeks.

You'll find some good food advice for Burma here -- and the author there gives a good explanation on how meal timing is differnt there - lunch is the main meal of the day.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 07:39

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Thanks Somtam!

#3 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 13:30

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I can't answer your specific question (in terms of what time they cook) - but I was there recently for 2-3 weeks and didn't have any problems either. I ate a mix of street food, local and tourists restaurants. I suspect that while you read of people getting sick, you won't hear from the many more travellers who don't get sick.

#4 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 19:47

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

My visit there was quite some time ago_ I remember that after 2-3 days I mainly stuck to directly prepared Thai food, Shan etc. More becse I found the Burmese style really awful.
    As to your Q; you westerners simply ask to much. It varies-some shops open early and close early-after lunch, some late end close late-evening. I don not really think the time the food stands is the main factor-bad hygiene is.

#5 Posted: 24/3/2014 - 01:06

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Thanks, guys

#6 Posted: 24/3/2014 - 02:19

• Terry001

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2014

I didn't have any problems either. It is very easy to find mineral water or soft drinks everywhere in Myanmar . Tea is available everywhere. Myanmar is a very poor tropical country. Logically, you should avoid all the uncooked food, salad, ice-cream. Green tomato salad from Inle, lemon salad, ginger salad, and a lot of raw uncooked dishes in Myanmar are delicious.

#7 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 07:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
WTF Restaurants - What Tasty Food! The only multi-cuisine vegetarian restaurant in Malaysia. ... By jigz on 27 Jul 2013 4 1342 1 Aug 2013