Burma forum

Opinions on tourist boat from Bagan to Mandalay?

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi all,
    I'm off to Burma in June, and was roughly planning a route from Yangon - Pyay - Bagan - Inle Lake - Mandalay - Pyin Oo Lwin (if time remaining). However I've heard really good things from some sources about the ferry from Bagan to Mandalay.

So now I'm wondering if I should change the route to go from Yangon - Inle (maybe breaking the journey in Taungoo or Meiktila/Thazi) - Bagan so I can take the ferry to Mandalay. However Taungoo or Meiktila/Thazi sound far less interesting than Pyay....

I'm flying out of Mandalay, so doing Yangon - Pyay - Bagan - Mandalay - Inle - Mandalay feels like a waste, having to backtrack.

Opinions, please: is the ferry interesting enough to sacrifice Pyay for?

My interests are very much focused on scenery and temples.

FYI, I've checked the website for the tourist ferry and it is scheduled to run daily throughout the rainy season (I've read in some places that it only runs a couple of days a week, but I'm assuming demand is high enough these days to run it daily).

Thanks,

#1 Posted: 27/4/2014 - 03:10

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

We passed on it when we were there as word was it is slow and the scenery rather dull (dry season) - better to get some river time by just taking a boat trip for the day while in Bagan. Trains in Myanmar are fun. Really fun, like a roller coaster.

#2 Posted: 27/4/2014 - 08:48

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

This is a bit of a crap-shoot. When I did the trip in the other direction, from Mandalay to Bangan, I loved it. It was 10 blissful hours on the deck of the boat with my book, my music, a few beers, the odd village, big flotillas of teak logs with people and animals living on them floating down the river. I thought it was quite relaxing, as well as interesting even though the scenery was pretty flat and beige for the most part. You see things from the river that you just don't see from the inside of a bus.

Friends of mine have had opposite experiences, though, as they all ended up spending much more time on the boat than planned due to low water levels. One friend ended up spending the night on the boat because it grounded itself in a shallow part of the river.

The trains definitely can be like roller coasters, as Casey mentions. The one I was on nearly derailed on the way to Moktama. Guess that's what happens when one rides on slave-labour-made railways.

#3 Posted: 27/4/2014 - 10:15

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated

#4 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 00:48

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

I made the Mandalay - Bagan boat trip in August 2012, and quite enjoyed it, although it was very long and not particularly comfortable (plastic chair for 12 - 13 hours). I did get to see some very interesting sights of rural life as discussed above, that definitely would not be seen otherwise. The water level would probably be lower in June, so that could be a consideration.

#5 Posted: 4/5/2014 - 11:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Express Boat from Bagan to Mandalay ... By grak88 on 19 Mar 2012 1 2132 30 Mar 2012
Transport for Mandalay-Bagan in August ... By reublim on 5 Jan 2013 6 2503 9 Jan 2013
Bagan to Mandalay Overnight Travel ... By reublim on 2 Jun 2013 10 2415 10 Jun 2013
Yangon to Bagan/Mandalay night bus ... By aik_yong2002 on 20 Aug 2013 1 4415 27 Aug 2013
Mandalay to Bagan to Inle Lake ... By igormozzilli on 6 Feb 2014 9 3986 16 Jun 2014
Heading North, finishing in Mandalay. Bagan or Inle Lake first? ... By mitchwest on 17 Sep 2013 2 1200 19 Sep 2013
Cheap Hostels in Myanmar? (Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake) ... By Spasmic on 12 Jan 2014 1 1547 12 Jan 2014