Burma forum

Burma for 10 days

• ashorcha

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2014

Hey guys, really need some advice about Burma.

I've been on the road now for 9 months and generally played things by ear but with a friend joining me for a certain time and my flight home being later than hers, it leaves me with about 12 days to spare in Asia and I don't know where to go. By then I'll have covered everywhere else in south east asia but Burma, should I go?

My friend leaves me in Hanoi and then 12 days later I fly from KL home. Direct flights to Yangon from Hanoi are expense but I found cheap flights though Bangkok, would this be a logistical nightmare as they flights with air asia aren't connected? Flights to KL for my return leg are very affordable.

I will also need to pick up a visa somewhere and Singapore seems to be the only place where I can get it in one day (I won't be back in Bangkok before) unless is there another embassy that processes one day visas, I hear that Hanoi takes three days....?

Finally, I haven't researched much about myanmar at all and would love any possible suggestions for the ten day trip.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 16/5/2014 - 04:58

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You can do a very nice loop in 10-days that would take in the following places ... Yangon - Mawlamyaing - Hpa-an - Kyaikto/Kinpun/Golden Rock - Yangon, and maybe even throw Thaton in there for good measure.

I thought the best thing about Hpa-an was getting there as the old ferry was still running when I went. I believe it has stopped, but some of the guest house owners (at least, the nice fellow who owns Breeze Guest House) run a boat between Mawlamyaing and Hpa-an every other day or something like that. If it's running, go by boat instead of pick-up or bus.

It gets mixed reviews, but I thought that walking all the way up to the Golden Rock was one of the best things I did while in Burma. Incredible views, very interesting sights along the way up, and then sunset at the Rock. It might be worth staying up there if it doesn't break the bank. I caught a truck back down after sunset (it was the most terrifying road trip of my life!). If you want to do the walk up the pathway to the Rock, plan on spending two nights in that area.

You could even spend a day in Bago checking out the temples on the way back, or as a day trip from Yangon.

Of course, this doesn't take in the classic stops like Bagan and Inle, but IMHO I don't think that 10 days is enough time to spend up in that area. It can be done, but it would be rushed and there's plenty to see and do in the areas closer to Yangon.

#2 Posted: 16/5/2014 - 13:27

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Having travelled for a similar length of time to you, my advice would be to find a nice, quiet beach or island for 11 days and just kick back and relax before you go back home (if I've understood correctly). I'm guessing you have seen enough in your time that another country won't make or break your trip. Some peaceful alone with thoughts of your travels should help recharge your batteries and make you somewhat ready to face the real world again.

#3 Posted: 16/5/2014 - 13:49

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Tilapia is spot on with that advice about the best trip to take. I enjoyed that part of Burma immensely, and it was quieter than other spots - if you do decide to go, follow his words. That said, chinarocks idea about ending a long holiday on the beach is alluring unless you've still got a case of itchy feet. You could always fly down to Phu Quoc from Hanoi if you've given it a miss otherwise and spend some time there before taking a HCMC flight down to KL. It saves you all that visa hassle that could stress out the end of your trip and will probably end up costing you a lot less money.

#4 Posted: 16/5/2014 - 22:42

• ashorcha

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2014

Thanks guys, that's really what I'm in two minds about, I don't know if I'll really appreciate Burma in all it's glory after seeing much of SEAsia and only having a short time to cover it.

That route does sound lovely though. Will have to sit down and really investigate and or justify the visit!

#5 Posted: 18/5/2014 - 07:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.