Burma forum

Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014

• nue_travell-
    ing

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2014

Hello to all the passionate travellers out there!
    My girlfriend and me plan to cross Myanmar with our own car in either August or September this year (2014) as part of our raod trip from Australia all the way back to Germany. According to our current knowledge crossing this beautiful country is not as difficult as it used to be. Mainly it is a matter of money. Since the government still charges high prices on entering with own cars (using a local licensed tour operator is mandatory). These costs can be reduced significantly if enough cars (people) can be found to join the group. We have found such a local licensed tour operator in Myanmar who can organize all kinds of tours with own cars in Myanmar but it is up to us to find other people who are interested in joining us (like I have said to make the high costs of such a tour organization affordable). We want to enter Myanmar coming from Thailand and travel on to India. If you are interested in joining us in the second half of August or in September please contact us: nue.travelling[AT]gmail[DOT]com - if anyone has information about other groups already planning something similar please let us know likewise!
    Kind regards,
    Enrico and Nadine

#1 Posted: 30/5/2014 - 21:34

• Advertisement

• nue_travell-
    ing

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2014

Hello to everyone.

In the meantime we have found another tour operator (www.burmasenses.com
    ) who offers guided tours through Myanmar.
    The price per person for a group of 4 people would be 1080 USD excluding food and fuel.
    The more people, the cheaper of course.

So setting up a group of three or more cars would make this trip much more affordable.
    If anyone is interested in crossing Myanmar from Thai to India in August or September this year please reply!
    Cheers,
    NuE

#2 Posted: 18/6/2014 - 03:49

• nue_travell-
    ing

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2014

UPDATE:
    According to our latest research the crossing is not as expensive as I / we thought it is.
    To quickly summarise:
    Next to the German guy Jörn Schlag whose latest price for an extensive trip through Myanmar was 2000 Euros (~ 2750 US$) per car (independent of the number of cars building the convoy) we already found three licensed travel agencies situated in Myanmar who offer crossings through Myanmar (all following prices are based on a four or five day crossing):
    1st was Tin Maung Shwe from www.brightviewtravel.com who basically provided the following prices (includes everything except of own fuel, any sight seeing and personal expenses): for 1 car / 2 pax : 2163 US$ per pax; for 2 cars / 4 pax : 1287 US$ (costs are getting cheaper the more people join the group)
    2nd was Thar Aye from www.burmasenses.com who offers the crossing as follows: for 1 car / 2 pax : 2000 US$ per pax; for 2 cars / 4 pax : 1060 US$ (costs are getting cheaper the more people join the group). Furthermore we found a
    3rd tour operator whose costs vary significant from those of Tin and Thar Aye:
    His name is Mutu Suresh from www.myanmarexperttours.com and who recommends a six day crossing due to the more difficult road situation on the rainy season for the following (costs are in total, NOT per person!):
    1 Person - 900 US$
    2 People - 1060 US$
    4 People - 1700 US$
    6 People - 2250 US$
    Includes three meals per day and five nights' accommodation. Not included as already mentioned above: own fuel, sightseeing entrance fees on the way, personal expenses and road tax (no more than 50 $US per vehicle).
    I was wondering how this high price difference is possible. But I only found few reviews only of people travelling with him (all were very satisfied with his work) and he assured me that no extra costs would apply (except the ones mentioned). If anyone can give any reviews about Mutu Suresh this would be very welcome!

So far I found another couple with a 4WD who is willing to join us on the crossing. Furthermore I am waiting for the reply of two motor cyclists who also are interested in joining us.
    That means currently we are four, maybe six people who will do the crossing together. I requested another offer + itinerary for a six day crossing allowing for visiting Bagan and a seven day crossing allowing for Bagan and Mandalay.
    News will be posted.

So far to our situation.
    Still looking for more people to join us!
    Since we are having travel delays the currently desired departure time (start time) for the crossing will be middle of September.

Best regards to everyone,

Enrico and Nadine
    www.nue-travelling.com

#3 Posted: 29/6/2014 - 01:58

• nue_travell-
    ing

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2014

Hello everyone.
    Anyone else interested in joining our group in September?
    Currently we will be 7 to 10 people.
    7 day crossing with one day stop in Bagan.
    Starting at Mae Sot (Thai) - Myawaddy (Myanmar)
    Finishing at Moreh (Myanmar) - Tamu (India) border
    Price: ~ 450 $US per person, excludes own fuel, lunch and dinner and private expanses but includes accommodation, tour operator fees, sight seeing entrance fees (Bagan and Phowin cave) and all government and administration fees
    More participants are welcome til middle of August when booking will be done.
    If anyone else has serious interest please contact me for further details.
    You need to have a Carnet de Passage, proper health insurance, a Myanmar visa and an India visa.

Cheers,

Enrico

#4 Posted: 18/7/2014 - 00:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 weeks in Thailand and Myanmar in November 2014 ... By Edinburghgirl on 19 Apr 2014 0 495 19 Apr 2014
3 months? Thailand, Myanmar, Nepal, and India? ... By mthawkins on 18 Apr 2014 2 608 18 Apr 2014
Crossing into Myanmar from Thailand via land ... By karynelder on 29 Feb 2008 1 4910 29 Feb 2008
Myanmar in Dec 2014 ... By jesso435 on 27 May 2014 4 812 4 Jul 2014
Bus. India - Myanmar ... By thunderroad on 19 Jul 2014 0 177 19 Jul 2014
burma/(myanmar) or tibet june 2014 ... By j4s on 20 Mar 2014 1 854 4 Jul 2014
Crossing Myanmar by land ... By Indiantraveler on 2 Feb 2012 5 3014 15 Feb 2012
crossing over land from Myanmar into Bangladesh ... By Rukus on 1 Feb 2013 2 2994 21 Jul 2013