Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi everyone,
    I've just found out from one credit card supplier (Halifax) that they block use all their cards in Burma. I can't use the card at all (either for purchases or for cash advances) in Burma.

I'd already called my main bank (Santander) a few days ago to tell them I was going abroad to Burma, and they registered my trip for both my bank card and my credit card and said I was all set. But because of the Halifax problem, I decided to call Santander back and double check - just to be safe. And guess what? Santander also blocks use of their cards in Burma! "Sorry, we neglected to tell you when you called to register your going abroad."

So it's back to cash only for me - I'm just glad that I found out before I fly out this weekend. But I just wanted to flag this issue here for others thinking of going to Burma. Make sure you ask specifically from your bank, so they don't neglect to tell you like Santander did.

#1 Posted: 6/6/2014 - 08:41

• Advertisement

• seankp

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2014

HI y,

Yes , myanmar still has some limitation about credit cards ( visa , master ) usages. However, it is more convenience in myanmar compared to past. You can make cash withdrawal from 2,500 machines that process credit card payments if you bank allow to use credit card in myanmar . But those are only like in 4 stars hotels and restaurants.

So, I still would like to suggest to make advance booking about your hotels and flights before coming to myanmar. Bring cash for other expenses . This is the best way so far if you dont want to carry all the cash along.

You can find out more details about myanmar credit cards situation here

http://green-myanmar.com/blog.php

#2 Posted: 7/6/2014 - 06:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
which bank have lowest surchage for cash withdraw by visa credit card ... By sandyyou on 20 Apr 2007 0 2620 20 Apr 2007
Bank cards ... By jonny_lewis7 on 7 Apr 2011 1 1746 7 Apr 2011
NZ Credit cards ... By shambles on 20 Feb 2012 2 1280 20 Feb 2012
credit cards? ... By worldbound on 14 Mar 2011 5 1452 15 Mar 2011
Nok Air - International credit cards can now be used ... By murwill16 on 22 Dec 2006 0 1454 22 Dec 2006