Burma forum

Visa extension

• Clare1993

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2012

Hi everyone,
    I'm planning a trip to Burma in November, so far for 28 days.
    However, I've read in a couple of different places (including the new lonely planet) that it is now possible to extend a tourist visa by 14 days once in country? Has anyone had any experiences doing this? It would make my trip a lot easier if I had 6 weeks rather than 4!
    Thanks, Clare.

#1 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 01:13

• Advertisement

• SimplyKitty

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2014
    Location Earth

I will also be there around December and would love to know the answer to this question.

I have come across a thread by a guy who just overstayed and said he had no problems - although it's not really something I want to try.

You cannot fly (out or internally) if you have over-stayed and you are still charged $5 a day as opposed to $15 in Thailand (apparently) - this is according to this random travel blog I found.

For me personally I don't want to get on the wrong side of the authorities in Myanmar/Burma and so wouldn't overstay on purpose but would love to know if an extension is possible... ..

#2 Posted: 15/7/2014 - 05:03

• thunderroad

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2014

Hi troops, well the good news, among the best I've heard for years , is that you CAN extend, certainly in Yangon. Will post more details when i get them.

#3 Posted: 15/7/2014 - 21:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Can i get a visa extension on a 30day tourist visa without leaving the country? ... By swenglishdan on 31 Dec 2006 5 5284 4 Nov 2012