Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Booking Flights While in Myanmar - HIGH season

Posted by jesso435 on 30/7/2014 at 18:30

Hello everyone -

Some friends and I are going to Myanmar from 10 December through 1 January, at the peak of high season. We have more or less settled on an itinerary which includes all the major tourist sites ( Yangon , Bagan , Mandalay , Inle, etc.). My friend heard from someone who lived there in 2009 that we should book our travel arrangements and flights through an agent before we go, but I would like to book them as we go, to allow more flexibility and not be completely locked into a set itinerary.

My question is: once we're in Myanmar, is it possible to easily book flights from the major sites as follows: Yangon > Mandalay, Mandalay > Bagan, Bagan > Heho, Heho > Yangon? I just want to know if we can do this when we're there, or if, being high season, these flights will be full or impossible to arrange. My searches of the air carrier websites in Myanmar haven't provided much information.

This will affect how much money we spend and a lot of the logistics of getting around, so any advice is much appreciated. We're not opposed to riding buses but would like to avoid anything longer than 7 hours or so.

Thank you!

#1 jesso435 has been a member since 27/5/2014. Posts: 5

Posted by pete61 on 3/8/2014 at 09:20

Hi Jesso435,
We took the 4 kids (older teens) in January this year and decided to fly from Yangon to Bagan and then from Heho to Yangon when we worked out the bus or train times and lengths of trip.
We had no trouble getting the flights we wanted. One was two days before the flight and the other about 12 days before.
From memory, flights were not too dear and for us worth the $ as we saved a days travel each time compared to bus or train. We may have missed driving through some beautiful country but that's something you have to weigh up.
I'd recommend you don't buy tickets from a kiosk or motel, go to a big travel agent office. We went to one near the Traders motel in Yangon where we got flights cheaper than quoted elsewhere and had a bit more choice of available departures.
We may have been lucky that day but I wouldn't worry too much.
By the way we LOVED Burma. Afternoon to evening at Shwe Dagon, Bagan, Inle Lake, a tour of Manday and the beautiful people were some of the many highlights of the trip.
Happy travels
Pete

#2 pete61 has been a member since 27/9/2009. Posts: 39

Posted by jesso435 on 3/8/2014 at 11:37

Thank you, Pete. This is reassuring. I can't wait!

#3 jesso435 has been a member since 27/5/2014. Posts: 5

Posted by htun1997 on 6/8/2014 at 10:41

Hello
Jesso435

If you are visiting in Myanmar during peak season you should make prior for flight booking because the flight is not same Bus. If you need bus ticket you can buy easy going.

Have a nice trip.

#4 htun1997 has been a member since 15/11/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by antoniamitchell on 7/8/2014 at 02:07

Pete61,
Can you pls share how much you paid for flights, roughly? I'm asking because the airlines' own websites were quoting mostly $150-170 (foreigner prices) to fly from Yangon to Heho or Bagan when I was planning my trip earlier this year - which is why I took the bus! Just curious as to whether you can get significantly better deals at local travel agencies.
Thanks!

#5 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 457
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter   Pinterest 

Posted by lixia on 14/8/2014 at 03:52

Hi Jesso435,

I am currently working in Yangon so happen to know something about Burma domestic flights booking.May suggest using oway website( http://oway.com.mm ).They are the largest online travel agency and me and my friends were once choosing to book flights on the website for a 20-day trip around Burma. The prices are sort of reasonable.We were having 320/330 usd from Yangon-Mandalay-Bagan-Inle-Yangon by flights.Since on the website you can choose different airway companies also,i think buying flight tickets at high season also wont be a problem.

Hope this may help.
Burma is amazing btw!!!Hope you have fun:)

#6 lixia has been a member since 14/8/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by kosoesoemdy on 18/8/2014 at 03:11

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295408-i11091-k7412979-Yangon_Mandalay_Bagan_Inle_Yangon-Mandalay_Mandalay_Region.html

#7 kosoesoemdy has been a member since 10/8/2014. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 11

Posted by pete61 on 9/9/2014 at 00:50

Hi Antonia,
Probably too late and not much use anyway, but from memory we payed around $80US to fly to Bagan from Yangon and around $65 Heho to Yangon. I din't write them down I'm sorry.

It's worth the flights if time is tight as it does take a long time to go by bus or train.

Pete

#8 pete61 has been a member since 27/9/2009. Posts: 39

Posted by antoniamitchell on 9/9/2014 at 00:51

Thanks, Pete. Good to know.

#9 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 457
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.