admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've just added a new section on the messageboard for discussion of Burma (Myanmar). This isn't to say we're planning on adding coverage of Burma to Travelfish, as we're not, but given there's the occasional post about it, it makes sense to have them all in one place for the benefit of all.

If there are any Burma experts out there who'd be interested in putting together some kind of a Frequently Asked Questions thing on Burma to post here in the messageboard, please drop me a line at stuartmcdonald (at) travelfish.org -- thanks!

#1 Posted: 17/10/2008 - 09:24

• Advertisement

• classez

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2011

Why don't you want to add Burma to your site? I guess you don't like to current government.
    Well neither do I.
    But what about the people and their amazing diversity, culture, history?
    They deserve your attention too.
    I do not believe that isolation is the solution.
    With respect.

#2 Posted: 20/8/2011 - 02:54

• peteraust

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2011

While most people will not like the treatment the military government gives to its citizens, I agree that travel within the country should be encouraged to help the local people in someway. Sanctions and bouycots will not help the people who are trying to make a living. Our tourist dollars (kyats) will be of great help to many in Myanmar. It is a fantastic place to visit.

#3 Posted: 10/10/2011 - 10:28

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I agree with the Travelfish position... This is the position taken by RoughGuide:
    Why don’t you publish a guide to Burma? "In the past we’ve discouraged readers from travelling to Burma as revenue from tourism is known to have helped fund and sustain Burma's oppressive political regime. We’re greatly heartened by the release of Aung San Suu Kyi and hope this will ultimately help open Burma to travellers. At the moment we’re not planning to publish a guidebook to Burma - such a guide would really depend upon sustained improvements in the political situation as well as on a proven and robust travel infrastructure – but we'll continue to monitor events in the region."
    you can always use Lonely Planet...

#4 Posted: 10/10/2011 - 19:47

• Lisa86

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

Hi Im heading to SE asia the start of Sep I have around 16weeks and thinking of heading into Burma I havnt heard much about Burma.. can any1 give me advice on where to stay away from and some hight lights etc to see

#5 Posted: 14/5/2012 - 19:01

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'm looking at heading there next year but haven't done a huge amount of research yet. However, there are some great posts in this Burma section of the forum - I'd suggest you have a good read through to get some initial ideas. Posts from Tilapia and SBE are particularly helpful and informative.

There is some good stuff on this blog, too: http://www.neverendingvoyage.com/planning-a-trip-to-burmamyanmar/ - this links to one article, but read up on their previous posts, too.

Likewise, another informative article: http://travelhappy.info/myanmar-burma/travelling-in-myanmar-burma-in-2012-why-you-should-go-now/ Check out the other links on that site, too.

#6 Posted: 14/5/2012 - 19:34

• greenings

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Lisa, as well as the helpful advice from busylizzy, there is a mountain of useful info on the Tripadvisor Myanmar forum. Some of the trip reports have really helped us plan our visit next January.

#7 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 11:13

• htun1997

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2011

Hello

All of my friend see in this blog what is Burma. But it is not same the time on Army and Burma is the nice place not only Culture but also people are helpful.

http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Burma/Mandalay-Region/Bagan/blog-155635.html
    http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Burma/Yangon-Region/Yangon/blog-155247.html

#8 Posted: 29/1/2014 - 13:02

• classez

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2011

My husband and I spent almost a month Myanmar in November 2012. We were enchanted by the beauty of the country and the smiles of the people.Even though it is poor and in 2012 it was still a very harsh military regime, the people everywhere welcomed us with open arms. We travelled from Yangon to Mandalay, took a cruise on the Irrawady to Bagan then went on to Inle Lake and then to Ngapali beach for a week of rest (we were in our late 60's). We talked to many young people and they were very open about what they thought of their government. We use local people as guides as opposed to prearranged group travels. In this way money can go directly to individuals and not the government. I would strongly recommend the visit it is a beautiful and very interesting country rich in history and the diversity of its people.

#9 Posted: 29/1/2014 - 13:30

• tamara_91

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2014

what do you think about the Myanmar as the best tourist destination of 2014? do you think so?

#10 Posted: 7/4/2014 - 03:30

• Advertisement

• chengywong83

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2014

Yes, traveled to Burma early this year just because I wanted to see Bagan, For a country like this, life is tough, but you see attitude of positivity and happiness. I strongly recommend this country if you travel to Southeast Asia, not very pack with tourist yet as compared to other countries like Vietnam and Thailand. My next travel list: Luang Prabang :)

#11 Posted: 12/8/2014 - 02:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Burma/Myanmar ... By JoHe59 on 17 Jan 2008 1 5490 18 Jan 2008
Do you do Myanmar/Burma? ... By alisonmilliken on 29 Mar 2007 9 9017 6 Aug 2011
internet in burma (myanmar) ... By sarahandclau on 20 Dec 2006 7 7265 6 Aug 2011
burma / myanmar air travel within and out ... By ilikrshortsongs on 3 Dec 2009 8 6046 6 Aug 2011
5 days in Burma/Myanmar ... By kanda on 7 Jan 2014 1 936 11 Feb 2014
Burma / Myanmar or Laos ? ... By adapshine on 6 Jan 2013 9 6750 4 Apr 2013
Photography in Burma/Myanmar ... By 9preciousGems on 28 Apr 2011 8 6946 23 Mar 2012
burma / myanmar - March, anyone? ... By majkel on 9 Feb 2012 1 1777 12 Feb 2012
Christmas Trip to Burma/Myanmar ... By JacqualineCheng on 12 Oct 2013 1 842 13 Nov 2013
Getting a visa for Burma (Myanmar) in Vientiane ... By KirstyB on 14 Dec 2011 1 5610 11 Jan 2012