Burma forum

suggested itinerary for 1 week Burma

• padigirl

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2009

Hi, I need sound advice on my travel plans and whether they are feasible.I have travelled Thailand and Cambodia for some 10 years now(on and off!)and this time around I was hoping to visit either Laos or Burma for one week.My plan is to fly direct to Chiang Mai for several days and then one of the beforehand mentioned.On leaving either of these I then wish to go to Battambang and Siem Reap before heading to Ko Tao in Thailand...Am I being too optimistic here?I only have 24days!!Thanks in advance for any help..Dee.

#1 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 02:16

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Padigirl,

Since this is the Burma section, I'll keep my comments focused on Burma.

I think that you can fly from CM to Mandalay now. It was possible to a while ago but the route was eliminated for some reason. If this is the case, you could take in Mandalay and surrounds, as well as Bagan quite comfortably without feeling as if you're rushing. Plenty to see and do. In fact, you could spend a few weeks in this area.

If you flew into Yangon, you could do a loop through Bago, Mawlamyaing, Hpa-an, Thaton, and Kyaitiyo (sp?) quite easily. It's a great loop not done by too many travelers. Most tend to head north to Inle, Mandalay, and Bagan. The Golden Rock is definitely worth the trip, especially if you do the walk up the mountain. Excellent!

#2 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 02:26

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Is Air Mandalay going to start doing the CM -Mandalay route again Tilapia?

I just checked their site and it still says CM-Yangon only.

Bago and Golden Rock are nice. At the Golden Rock if you walk ALL the way up the mountain and back you can avoid getting your knees indented for life in the lorries that take people part of the way up the mountain. It's very steep and the planks you sit on are very close together.

Bit difficult to explain clearly here, but if you take one of those lorries you'll understand precisely what I mean. ;-)

#3 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 04:06

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

padigirl

Tilapia & SBE know Myanmar - I don't.

I note that Air Mandalay have been promising a Chiang Mai - Myanmar connection to begin in August, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I really want to focus on the other parts of your message.

You want to go...

Chiang Mai
    Mandalay (or similar)
    Siem Reap
    Battambang
    Ko Tao

So, aside from travelling to/from, when will you have time to actually do anything.

I am an advocate of ONE city/region per WEEK!. No ifs, no buts!!! On this, I refer you to this post.

You essentially have 3 weeks. That IS ONLY 3 city/region destinations MAX!!

May I suggest ONLY Chiang Mai (but check flights to Myanmar) and ONLY Myanmar. In so doing, Tilapia and SBE have given some ideas, and if pushed, I feel confident that can offer more help as to how you can enjoy yourself.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 05:57

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

padigirl,
    I think it'll be a lot easier and less costly too just to visit Laos for a week since you're wanting to get to Siem Reap and Battambang before heading down to Ko Tao.
    With a week for Laos, I'd recommend flying Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang, visit for 3 days, then take a VIP bus or shared minivan down to Vang Vieng for a couple days, then the 3.5 hour bus or shared minivan to Vientiane to visit for a full day. There goes your Lao week.
    Following morning get up early to catch the Internatioal Bus to Khon Khaen and at KK bus station, transfer to another bus destined for Khorat where you take yet another bus to the Arranyaprathet-Poipet (Cambodia border crossing). After getting Cambodian visa on arrival you can get transport to Battambang or Siem Reap, which ever one you want to visit first.

#5 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 14:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Suggested itinerary ... By alexlazarus on 18 Feb 2008 1 2228 21 Feb 2008
Suggested Itinerary ... By poofie555 on 1 Oct 2007 1 1913 1 Oct 2007
suggested itinerary for Malaysia ... By breatheagain on 30 May 2013 2 2272 6 Jun 2013
3 weeks in Laos for the solo traveller - suggested itinerary ... By saxomophone on 13 Jan 2009 4 5434 14 Jan 2009
Suggested Budget and Itinerary for Thailand Laos Vietnam and Cambodia ... By emmah on 7 Mar 2013 4 2519 8 Mar 2013