admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

With all the chit chat about the loons who run Burma being rumoured to be trying to build a few nukes, ArmsControlWonk has a very interesting bit of satellite imagery from Burma with an odd building that nobody seems to be able to make sense of.

Take a look at the post -- what do you think it is?!

#1 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 15:30

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

I want to believe its a special swimming pool for some of the generals...

I don't want the US to start making the area a 'rogue state', with all that that implies...

Cheers

#2 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 17:32

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Looks more like a nuclear facility cooling pool to me.I read that Burma and N. Korea were hobnobbing yesterday. Two countries with insane military leaders joining forces in a nuclear program, what a nightmare

http://www.irrawaddy.org/article.php?art_id=16480

On the other hand both countries are masters of Orwellian doublespeak so it could just be a show of bravado for the benefit of the outside world....I really hope so.

#3 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 18:04

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I just read one of the sublinks in your link Somtam... it's in Pyin Oo Lwin. That figures.

While quaint (an old hill station with stage coaches and colonial buildings) Pyin Oo Lwin was on of my least favourite places in all of Burma. It was literally swarming with military and I didn't like the atmosphere there one bit. There's a very big military establishment there. There's a school for top officers there amongst other things. and the newly built road from Mandalay was amazingly large and well built for Burma.

I was there in December 05 just after they started changing the location of the capital to Naypyidaw... people in Mandalay were already experiencing endless power cuts as a result. All their electricity was being diverted to the new capital. Could it be a nuclear power plant for electricity?

#4 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 18:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.