admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If this story is accurate, it is very big news...

Unfortunately it carries no direct quotes, which, given the circumstances, can be tricky, but if true, it is very big news for the nascent Burma tourism scene.

#1 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 18:22

• Advertisement

• muzza

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009

yes somtam I agree, BUT, as stated in the artical open tourism will lead to the junta and its business/friend operations recieving a huge influx of tourist activity. They already gain, (always have) a large amount via the FSE purchase which every incoming tourist must do. The last time I visited, $300us into funny money, (the equivelant of Monopoly and worth just as much). I love Burma and would advise travellers not to forgo a visit but to do it as local as possibel. Which means back packing or finding a local van company to take you. These comps pay a licence to the junta but will take you were you want to go no questions and even advise options on what you have decided.

muzza

#2 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 19:06

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'Muzza says
    They already gain, (always have) a large amount via the FSE purchase which every incoming tourist must do.'
    I thought that there was a way around this.I was considering going in the new year but if this is still the case mmmm!

#3 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 19:59

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

What are you talking about muzza???

Unless there's been a very recent change, tourists have not had to change any money into FECs (foreign exchange certificates) for years!!!

I certainly didn't when I went there in December 2005.

#4 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 20:45

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

Yes, FECs (foreign exchange certificates) have been done away with since 2001 or 2002. But I do highly agree with Muzza's point on trying to spend tourists dollars or € or whatever currency with the intent of supporting mom and pop merchants or businesses as much as possible. No doubt, the junta will get it's cut from taxes or because they dominate the larger hotels or tourism related businesses but supporting small places means that more money gets directly into locals hands.

#5 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 20:51

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

August 2003 actually (I just checked).

Here is a site which gives the pros and cons of visiting Burma.

http://www.voicesforburma.org/responsible-tourism

Aung San Suu Kyi's party has been encouraging INDEPENDENT tourists to visit the country for some time. They (and the people) are not so keen on tourists who come on a package deal though.

#6 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 21:34

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

Sorry about that. Thanks for the correction SBE; just knew it's been quite a few years already.

#7 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 22:17

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I didn't know exactly when they stopped making tourists use monopoly money either seagypsy...that's why I checked! Had a feeling it was the year before I went but apparently not. I think they are still legal tender but god knows who uses them.

... err haven't got time to look now but just wondering if the UN had to change all the "disaster relief money" they gave to the generals into FECs? I know the UN got ripped on the exchange rate... you'd think top UN experts would know stuff like current exchange rates, wouldn't you.

#8 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 22:35

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

Such is the nature of dealing with a corrupt regime. The moneyed-class, especially the military always get their cut.

#9 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 22:59

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I went to Burma in December, 2002, and FECs had already been done away with by then.

#10 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 23:04

• Advertisement

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

#11 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 06:21

• williamtayl-
    or

Click here to learn more about williamtaylor
    Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2009
    Location Japan

Does anyone with recent experiences know how long it takes to get a visa for Myanmar in Bangkok or KL?

#12 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 13:48

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Correction. I just looked at my diary and I arrived there in December of 2003. So the articles make sense ... I didn't.

Cheers.

#13 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 21:55

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yettaw, the American nutcase who swam to Aung San Suu Kyi's house and provided an excuse for the Junta to put her put under house arrest and prevent her from standing for election (yet again) has been released... thanks to a US senator's intervention.

http://www.irrawaddymedia.com/print_article.php?art_id=16571

How many FECs did that cost I wonder.

#14 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 01:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam tourism drops 22% ... By travelfishnews on 3 Jul 2009 0 3547 20 Jan 2011
Burma Struggling with Tourism Boom ... By scomoore1 on 12 Feb 2012 8 3100 3 May 2012