Burma forum

Travelling via Burma from Thailand NE India

• dan87leite

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2009

Hi,

I need some help. im travelling through SE asia and want to go from thailand through burma into the NE of India.

Does anyone know about current circumstances for british and irish passport holders entering from thailand and leaving out to india at the boarders?

thanks if you can give me any insight, i would really appriciate it.

dan

#1 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 20:22

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Dan,

Are you thinking about doing this overland? If so, you will have to go through several massive stretches of the country that are off-limits to foreigners.

Things change so much and so quickly there that it is impossible to say yes or no to any questions regarding border crossings, though most of the times the answer is "no." I'd suggest that you speak to someone at a Myanmar Consulate and ask, telling them exactly where you want to go. Who knows? You may be able to do it, but you can be almost 100% sure that you will not be allowed to do this on your own. You will most likely require permits, and permits usually come with guides and the two together mean "expensive." They are not going to want anyone wandering around alone in these areas, especially around borders.

Otherwise, you're best and most affordable route would probably be to fly to Yangon, then from Yangon to Dhaka and see if you can cross into N. India there. Also, depending on where you're going in N. India, you may need more permits for there, as well.

Good luck.

#2 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 22:22

• katsnow

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2008

From my research foreigners can only enter Myanmar on the 28 day tourist visa if they fly in. Airasia has a cheap flight from bkk to yagnon (rt about 100 usd) then you can fly from bkk to kolkata for about 125 one way and continue on by train.

#3 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 12:03

• anotherlost-
    soul

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

You won't get a permit to cross the Myanmar / India border unless you're an Indian citizen. No flights from Yangon - Dhaka anymore either. Fly to Yangon from Bangkok and fly out to Kolkata / Gaya with Indian Airlines (Book this one WELL in advance).

#4 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 17:45

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

"No flights from Yangon - Dhaka anymore either."

Thanks for the update.

#5 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 01:10

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

It cannot be done. Foreigners can only enter Myanmar by air (with the exception of short visits to border towns with Thailand).

That would be a fantastic trip though, huh? India to Singapore overland :D

#6 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 22:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Want to ride on the back of my bike from Thailand across Burma into India? ... By upthejunction on 17 Jan 2014 0 793 17 Jan 2014