• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I'm off on my annual wander about in SE Asia in about 2 weeks time and I more of less know where I'm going for a change (because I went mad and bought lots and lots of Air Asia tickets in their big sale).

However I've still got about 5-6 weeks "undecided" in December/ January.

I was thinking of spending a month in Laos because I've only spent 2-3 weeks in this country so far but I'm a bit worried it'll be too busy at that time of year so am leaning towards a return trip to Burma instead.

Any suggestions about an itinerary for a month would be most welcome.

I've already noted down Moulmein after Tilapia's posts but are there any other suggestions regarding other places worth seeing that I missed last time?

I went to Yangon, Bago, the Golden Rock, Mandalay,Kalaw, Pyin U Lwin, Bagan, Hsipaw, Inle and Chaungtha on my previous trip.

#1 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 22:15

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi SBE,

I haven't done this, but if/when I go back I'm going to take the boat from Yangon to Pathein to check out the town, as well as the cotton umbrella workshops. That will take you nice and close to the coast, too. Supposedly, you can also go further up the coast by boat.

This is my plan ... that is, if it is still possible.

#2 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 22:52

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Thanks Talapia! I think I passed through Pathein last time on a bus but didn't stop there as I didn't know about the umbrella workshops last time. I just did a quick search to find out a bit more about Pathein ... this temple sounds like it's well worth a look too!

"The main sight of Pathein is Shwemokhtaw Paya, a Buddhist temple originally founded (according to local legend) by King Asoka of India in 305 BC. Bagan’s King Alaungsithu raised the height of the stupa to 11 meters in 1115 AD, and King Samodogossa raised it to 40 meters in 1263 AD. The stupa is now 46.6 meters tall, with the topmost layer made of 6.3 kg of solid gold, the middle tier of pure silver, and the third tier of bronze, with some 829 diamonds, 843 rubies, and 1588 semi-precious stones"

#3 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 05:58

• anotherlost-
    soul

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

If you're in Myanmar, 15th January, you can see the Annular Solar Eclipse. You could link this to a visit to Myitkyina and an Irrawaddy trip south to Mandalay.

#4 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 16:29

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I'll have to leave before the 10th which is a pity, but thanks for the suggestion about Myitkyina.

#5 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 17:07

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

You must have passed through on the way to Chaung Tha. I think that going by boat would be fascinating, and a heck of a lot more comfy. Probably a bit more expensive, though.

#6 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 22:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.