Burma forum

Money in Burma

• Nywoman

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2008

I know there are no ATM's and believe that $US is the preferred currency except when it is not.

What kind of denominations should I carry in perfect crisp bills?

If I only have $100 bills will I get change in $ or Kyat.

Thanks again for advice

#1 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 20:56

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Carry a bunch of small bills. I had a mess of $5's and lots of $1's. You'll need them for ferries, taxis, entrance fees to sites, and things like that, including your departure tax when you fly out. I'm not sure what it is now, or if it is even charged these days, so make sure you know before you head to the airport with no money.

When I went I insisted that I had no more U$ and ended up paying my departure tax with Kyat. They weren't impressed.

#2 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 02:49

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

you get a slightly better exchange rate with $100s (compared to $20s). So use the big bills when changing to kyat (it's better to use kyat for small purchased in markets, shops, restaurants). If you pay with USD at a hotel, tour agency, etc. you can get your change in USD. In small shops, markets, etc. they'll take USD but your change will usually be in kyat.

#3 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 14:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
money in burma ... By fredooo on 16 Jul 2009 8 4970 30 Jul 2009