Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Where to spend Christmas in Burma?

Posted by elgeras on 4/11/2009 at 23:59

Hello everyone? my grilfriend and i will be spending 18 days in burma this december.

Mandalay, Inle, Yangnon and Bagan. We are catholics and are looking for a place to spend christmas.

We dont need the whole catholic experience (we would be in the vatican instead), but we want some place where we can chill and have a nice dinner.

Anyone have any suggestions? Should we book in advance?

#1 elgeras has been a member since 4/11/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by Tilapia on 5/11/2009 at 20:10

About 4% of the population there is Christian (1% RC + 3% Baptist) so it's not a big thing there. If you want to attend a service, there are RC churches in Mandalay and Yangon, but not in or near Nyaung Schwe, Bagan or Nyaung-U.

New Year seems to be a much bigger event.

You can chill and have a nice dinner in all of those places.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,491
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by peaceinBURMAnow on 17/3/2010 at 22:59

I spent Christmas in a Buddhist nunnery - that was awesome!!

#3 peaceinBURMAnow has been a member since 17/3/2010. Posts: 10

Posted by peterlee12 on 30/8/2011 at 12:02

This is a good information. Thanks peaceinBURM

#4 peterlee12 has been a member since 19/8/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by elgeras on 31/8/2011 at 00:05

Its been almost 2 years now... We spend it in Inle Lake and had a wonderful time. we stayed in Four sisters for a few days and spent Christmas at the lake in Inle Princess Resort. One hostel the other 5 star... one 10 dollar the other 150... but really worth it. christmas dinner, christmas show and music.

We had meals in View Point restaurant and cooking lessons!!! trust me, the best experience ever.

#5 elgeras has been a member since 4/11/2009. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.