Burma forum

burma / myanmar air travel within and out

• ilikrshorts-
    ongs

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2009

wondering if anyone knew the most recent deal with this. figured id consult with the experts...

from what i gather one must fly into yangon. do you have to fly back out of there as well ? is air mandalay the only option ?

ill be traveling for 2 months, and would like to spend a week in burma and see yangon, inle lake, and maybe mandalay. wondering the best way to do this, and open to any and all other suggestions.

thanks !

#1 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 13:22

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I flew into Yangon on Thai Airways from Bangkok. It is supposed to be possible to fly into Mandalay, but I'm not sure which airlines do that route. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

You don't have to leave the country the same way you came in. Unless things have changed, that's not necessary.

Honestly, that is far too much to cram into one week, especially if you plan to fly into and out of Yangon. Even if you fly from Yangon to Heho, then from Heho to Mandalay, you're going to be hard-pressed to see much. You're going to spend most of your time traveling, and travel there can be sketchy with regards to schedules, breakdowns, etc.

You might want to 1) consider increasing your time there, 2) stick to Yangon and the do a loop through Mawlamyaing or Thaton, or 3) fly into and out of Mandalay and stay up in that area and don't bother with Yangon.

The agony of choice. I think you would not regret the decision to stay a little longer.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 19:42

• Nywoman

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2008

As usual Tilapia is absolutely correct in his advice. I just spent 3 weeks in Myanmar and barely touched some of the highlights.

My blog is on www.nywoman.blogspot.com/

Haven't finished posting yet still have Mandalya and Bagan to cover.
    Myanmar should not be rushed.

#3 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 21:21

• anotherlost-
    soul

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

I'd agree with the above posts in that you should allow more time if possible.

If you can only spare a week you could certainly see 2, 3, even 4 locations .. but you would be rushing it.

If you are travelling for 2 or more weeks you could do a one-way trip (via an agency) and leave via a border point rather than from Yangon. In a week it may be better to just fly in and out of Yangon. The only flight currently out of Mandalay flies to Kunming, China.

#4 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 16:06

• ilikrshorts-
    ongs

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2009

wow . . . thanks guys. def have some things to consider !

#5 Posted: 11/12/2009 - 12:29

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Look at it this way ... many people come to Thailand and return, sometimes more than once. It's easy. Very few people go to Burma, and fewer return more than once. For most, it really is the trip of a lifetime.

Based on what I saw there, I'd spend at least a month in Burma, and then split the rest of my time up in one or two other places in Thailand, Laos or Cambodia.

#6 Posted: 12/12/2009 - 08:30

• dawemmy

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2010

All the comments that you have received have been great.

I just want to give you some facts and 1 piece of advice.
    Try Air Asia for cheap tickets or Bangkok airways or Myanmar Airways, I fly Thai--preference only.

BKK-YGN then transfer to Mandalay is an all day affair--expect to actually be in your hotel room around 3pm if you catch the 7 am fight out of BKK.

You can get a domestic flight by walking out of the int'l terminal, go to the left and the domestic terminal is about 150 yards. Book at the counter.

All the comments that you have received have been great.

I just want to give you some facts and 1 piece of advice.
    Try Air Asia for cheap tickets or Bangkok airways or Myanmar Airways, I fly Thai--preference only.

BKK-YGN then transfer to Mandalay is an all day affair--expect to actually be in your hotel room around 3pm if you catch the 7 am fight out of BKK.

You can get a domestic flight by walking out of the int'l terminal, go to the left and the domestic terminal is about 150 yards. Book at the counter.

The Mandalay airport is 45 min to 1 hour outside of Mandalay--the taxi fee was 21,000 kyats or about $20. try to find a share. coming back go to 7 diamond travel in downtown Mandalay--book a taxi going to the airport for about 7,000 kyats (return of course is 21,000)

Don't worry there are always seats available--flights by Bagan Air, air Mandalay, yangon airways should be about 85 usd (the last time I travelled).

If you want to book a domestic flight Sun Far travel on Thanon Pan in Bangkok has an office, I think Columbus travel also has an office.

Booking at the travel agencies inside of Yangon is cheaper than the counter or outside of Myanmar.

I have used Sun Far at the Sakura Tower across from the Traders hotel, they are eficient and popular with the locals.

Taking the Bus: there are night buses for Inle lake and Mandalay. There is a bus that runs from Bagan to Inle. Check it out at my friend Sabei's travel agency-Zone Express Travel--contact me for an email. She can also help make arrangements with MTT if you want to exit through Taichilek.

The River may be too low for travel during this time.
    You don't have enough time to travel by train and it's a bit expensive for foreigners.

Now, may I suggest that you increase the time to 2 weeks. In two weeks I think you could manage this:

Arrive Yangon, transfer hotel, book flight and see Shwe Dagon (it's beautiful at night)

Next day, fly to Bagan, 2 days minimum. (Bagan airport is about 20 minutes to hotels and around 5,000 kyats)

Fly to Mandalay (about $40 on Bagan air) 3 days minimum--see 1. Amapura, Inwa, UPein Bridge 2. Cycle Around Mandalay 3. Mingun or Sagaing
    (if you rented a taxi for the day you could fit in #'s 1 and Sagaing in)

Refresh in Pyin U Lwin stay 1 night(ask Sabei about the shared taxi services--Cheap!)See gardens--hike anisikan falls or water cave.

All day ride to HsiPaw, hike around 1 1/2 days.
    Travel back to Mandalay.

Night bus to Inle but get off at Kalaw--2 days hike to Inle lake.

Inle lake , only 2 days are needed.

[here you can go to Taungyi then exit to Taichilek]

Return Mandalay: Rest
    Night Bus to Yangon, but get off at Bago
    1 day in Bago--in the evening--take local transport to Yangon.
    Look around Yangon but don't go anywhere near you know who's house!
    Take a night flight out to BKK. (thai air or myanmar air)
    That's 16 days of hard travel!

Of course you could cut Bago.
    You could cut Hsipaw or or Kalaw--but not both!

Good luck
    Mandalay is my Pied de Terre

#7 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 10:41

• ilikrshorts-
    ongs

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2009

great advice. thanks for everything. im off in a few days. seems like the ability to enter and exit via different boarders is constantly changing. thats pretty much the biggest thing i am uncertain about !

#8 Posted: 31/1/2010 - 02:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Should you book in advance for high season travel in Burma (Myanmar)? ... By somtam2000 on 28 Oct 2013 4 1616 22 Feb 2014
Do you do Myanmar/Burma? ... By alisonmilliken on 29 Mar 2007 9 8955 6 Aug 2011
Burma/Myanmar ... By JoHe59 on 17 Jan 2008 1 5435 18 Jan 2008
Burma / Myanmar or Laos ? ... By adapshine on 6 Jan 2013 9 6246 4 Apr 2013
Photography in Burma/Myanmar ... By 9preciousGems on 28 Apr 2011 8 6741 23 Mar 2012
Travelfish on Burma (Myanmar) ... By somtam2000 on 17 Oct 2008 12 22176 12 Aug 2014
burma / myanmar - March, anyone? ... By majkel on 9 Feb 2012 1 1721 12 Feb 2012
5 days in Burma/Myanmar ... By kanda on 7 Jan 2014 1 866 11 Feb 2014
internet in burma (myanmar) ... By sarahandclau on 20 Dec 2006 7 7191 6 Aug 2011
Getting a visa for Burma (Myanmar) in Vientiane ... By KirstyB on 14 Dec 2011 1 5450 11 Jan 2012