Burma forum

Burma visa

• ching69

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2010

Hi,

My husband and I are planning to visit Myanmar in Feb/Mar. We will be flying from BKK to Yagon. Could anyone please offer us some information about the best way of applying Myanmar visa in Bangkok? Should we just go to the Myanmar embassy ourselves or should we have a travel agent apply for us? If by a travel agent, do you have any favorite trusty agent in BKK you can let us know?

Thank you very much for any information and tips.

#1 Posted: 31/1/2010 - 09:38

• Advertisement

• anotherlost-
    soul

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

If you are applying for a tourist visa, you'll have to go to the Bangkok Embassy in person.

You'll have to bring a photocopy of your passport info page, 3 photos and be prepared to be asked about your work history. If you apply on Monday morning (for instance), the visa will be ready Wednesday afternoon at 3pm.

#2 Posted: 31/1/2010 - 15:43

• ching69

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2010

Thank you so much for the info, anotherlost soul.

Is it easy to apply or they will make it difficult? I have read that they will want the travel itinerary to be written on the application. Is this true? If so, how detail do they want? Do we have to list all the guesthouses we are planning to stay?

Thank you.

#3 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 21:48

• dawemmy

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2010

Especially if you are American, you need to apply in person, just as anotherlostsoul writes. I have seen agents in BKK say they can get it but recently they have had to give the fees and passports back. Don't waste your time with them, just go yourself. The itinerary is unnecessary unless you are on a tour,

however do have a return ticket handy.

Just write a prominent hotel in Yangon like the Traders or Sedona.
    They are a bit picky about people who work in Thailand, bring your work permit.
    It's easy they are friendly, don't worry.

#4 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 18:59

• peaceinBURM-
    Anow

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2010

The best way to get a visa for Burma is to personally go to the embassy in Bangkok, early in the morning. Bring your passport, cash, and passport photos. Fill out the form you get on the counter there, make a copy around the corner of the embassy (in fact, fill out the form there at the copy shop - quieter) and watch out what you're writing in the profession/job history part of the form! No political undertones, keep it simple. e.g. construction worker, english teacher, secretary, business/management stuff (they like business people). Definitely not journalist, or human rights worker.. Just saying okay! Also, they ask you for a guesthouse address in Yangon on the form. Other than that, no worries. I picked it up the next day. But you can also do express visa, drop off passport in the morning and collect in the afternoon, but that costs a bit more.

And yes, I agree, they are very friendly there.

PS: I didn't have a ticket to Burma at the time of applying and it was no problem

#5 Posted: 17/3/2010 - 22:41

• eidoos77

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2010

The best way to get a visa for Burma is to personally go to the embassy what every country your in. Going to any embassy the earlier the better.Bring your passport, cash, and passport photos. When you fill out the form just say your there for business, prepare a name of a hotel or guest house where you might be staying. Normally you can pick it up the next day. Have a safe trip. Eidoos77.

#6 Posted: 2/7/2010 - 10:24

• peaceinBURM-
    Anow

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2010

You can now get visa on arrival!!!

#7 Posted: 2/7/2010 - 14:49

• chrisanddon

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2011

HI,
    We are hoping to go to Burma in Oct 2011- however we keep hearing that American passport holders are being rejected about 80% of the time- supposedly UK passport holders and Italian are also having difficulties- has anyone else heard of this? two different reputable travel agencies in Chiang Mai gave us this information- we want to try our luck at the embassy in BKK, but wonder if anyone else has heard of this problem
    Thanks,
    chris

#8 Posted: 6/9/2011 - 07:51

• biersal

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011
    Location United States

I am American and I just got back from Myanmar. I went to the embassy in BKK to apply and got back my passport the next business day (I applied on a Friday), no problems at all.

I didn't have a ticket booked when I applied for the visa and the only question I was asked was what day I was planning on flying into the country.

It does ask for a guest house on the form so have one handy if you plan on filling it out at the embassy.

At the airport (which was quite new) there was a booth that said "Visa on Arrival" but it looked empty and I didn't investigate.

#9 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 02:22

• nikkor

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2011
    Location United States

I'd love to hear more about the visa on arrival option for US citizens who are visiting. Thanks-

#10 Posted: 7/11/2011 - 05:05

• Advertisement

• peaceinBURM-
    Anow

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2010

You can only get Visa On Arrival if you fly from Guangzhou (China) or Siam Reap (Cambodia) to Yangon and if you're booked on a Myanmar Airways flight. Myanmar Airways is Myanmar government owned, so all the money goes to them.

#11 Posted: 7/11/2011 - 05:13

• burmabamboo-
    hat

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2011

Dear ching,
    whoever you are you can apply for Myanmar visa at BKK myanmar embassy easily.
    you should not apply with BKK visa agent, it's waste for your time and money.
    And you can take itinerary roughly for more easy.
    Example roughly itinerary:
    Day - 1 - arrival at Yangon
    overnight at Yangon
    Day - 2 - Yangon - Bagan
    overnight at Bagan
    Day - 3 - Bagan
    overnight at Bagan
    Day - 4 - Bagan - Mandalay
    overnight at Mandalay
    Day - 5 - Mandalay
    overnight at Mandalay
    Day - 6 - Mandalay - Yangon
    overnight at Yangon
    Day - 7 - Departure

you can adjust itinerary with your visiting days and spending time.

good luck!

#12 Posted: 2/12/2011 - 12:57

• keinnon

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2011

My apologies if this is redundant, however:
    We just got the new Lonely Planet Myanmar guide and they're mentioning a two week waiting period for visas.
    I tend to believe what I read here as it's current but just want to confirm that when we arrive in BKK at the beginning of Jan 2012 we can go to the Myanmar embassy and get a visa in one or two days. We'd like to spend only a few days in BKK and move along to Myanmar asap.
    Thanks!

#13 Posted: 15/12/2011 - 16:45

• travelasia13

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2011

Here's an article with detailed info on visa for Burma. http://www.travelwireasia.com/901/travel-therapist-how-to-get-a-visa-for-burma-myanmar/ Hope its helpful and not too late. Enjoy :-)

#14 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 01:44

• travelasia13

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2011

Here's an article with detailed info on visa for Burma. http://www.travelwireasia.com/901/travel-therapist-how-to-get-a-visa-for-burma-myanmar/ Hope its helpful and not too late. Enjoy :-)

#15 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 01:49

• jennakuz

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2011

I applIed for and got my burma vIsa today In bangkok. you have to go to myanmars embassy, but a lot of cab drIvers dont know where It Is and the address and phone numbers lIsted onlIne are Incorrect. once you fInd your way there, make sure you go to apply between 9am and 12 pm monday to frI otherwIse theywont be open. you need 2 passport photos and a photocopy of your passport as well. you fIll out the applIcatIon form In whIch It asks where you wIll stay, what dates youll be In the country and your 2 prevIous occupatIons. you hand In the applIcatIon and for 1260 baht you can go back between 330 and 430pm to pIck It up. I dIdnt get asked my route or anythIng, It was easy. the hardest part was gettIng cabs there In such heavy traffIc. I am a canadIan cItIzen but I didnt see nyone of other natIonalItIes havIng any Issues whIle I was there. sorry about the poor grammar and capItal I's everywhere my tablet Is beIng weIrd.

#16 Posted: 13/1/2012 - 09:00

• jennakuz

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2011

I applIed for and got my burma vIsa today In bangkok. you have to go to myanmars embassy, but a lot of cab drIvers dont know where It Is and the address and phone numbers lIsted onlIne are Incorrect. once you fInd your way there, make sure you go to apply between 9am and 12 pm monday to frI otherwIse theywont be open. you need 2 passport photos and a photocopy of your passport as well. you fIll out the applIcatIon form In whIch It asks where you wIll stay, what dates youll be In the country and your 2 prevIous occupatIons. you hand In the applIcatIon and for 1260 baht you can go back between 330 and 430pm to pIck It up. I dIdnt get asked my route or anythIng, It was easy. the hardest part was gettIng cabs there In such heavy traffIc. I am a canadIan cItIzen but I didnt see nyone of other natIonalItIes havIng any Issues whIle I was there. sorry about the poor grammar and capItal I's everywhere my tablet Is beIng weIrd.

#17 Posted: 13/1/2012 - 09:00

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

It's easy to get to the embassy in Bangkok on the skytrain too. Detailed instructions here:
    http://travelhappy.info/thailand/myanmar-visa-in-bangkok-how-to-get-it/

I was in Myanmar in December 2010 and have just got back from my latest trip there. I noticed some changes since my previous visit, eg. guidebooks will tell you to NOT to change money at the airport because the exchange rates are incredibly bad. This is no longer true. In fact, the exchange rates at the airport were actually slightly better than at Bogyoke market. Someone told me they'd seen bank exchange booths in Yangon offering slightly better rates too. I have no idea whether it is PC or not to change money at these official places, but the rates are no longer ludicrously low compared to black market rates.

Internet websites seemed less tightly controlled this time as well. Last year I couldn't access my hotmail account at all but this year it was as easy to access as gmail.... when the internet was working.

There were more foreign tourists about and the popular guesthouses were often full, especially in Yangon. Probably best to book accommodation there (you can usually do it by email). You won't be able to use your own cellphone to book rooms once you're in the country but the guesthouse you're staying will usually call ahead for you for free if you ask.

http://www.irrawaddy.org/ is worth looking at before you go to keep up with the latest news developments and they also have the current $ exchange rate in Yangon on the site.

#18 Posted: 13/1/2012 - 11:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

SBE
    This is good, if not a bit surprising, news. You don't rapidly shift from one form of government to the next (at least not usually without some ugliness) but I am heartened to hear that Burma is making real progress.

#19 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 02:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.