Burma forum

Malarone for Burma trip?

• ching69

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2010

Are anti-malaria tablets necessary to bring for Burma trip? If I only go to the big 4 destinations, should I bring some. They are so expensive!

#1 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 09:53

• Advertisement

• dawemmy

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2010

Well, the best thing is to avoid mosquito bites. There is malaria and dengue in Mandalay. But mostly out in the villages. My second family in Mandalay is suffering with Dengue as we speak.

I lived there 4 years and didn't get anything.

Lashio is another place with malaria problems and near the Thai border on the Salween river.

They have all the medicines you need and cheaper there!

#2 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 19:05

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

There are other medicines availabe as alternatives to malarone. Are you flying direct to Burma from home? you can pick up Malarone in Malaysia for half the price that it is sold in the UK. Additionally you will be able to pick up other kinds in Thailand.

Personally, i'm not sure i'd buy these kind of drugs from within Burma. I'm not sure i'd trust that they had been stored correctly etc

As Dawemmy suggests though, prevention is the best way to maintain good health

#3 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 22:55

• ching69

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2010

Thank you all for your valuable and helpful information. Malaria is a problem but Dengue is much worse and there is no specific treatment for it. Yes you are right, the prevention is the best way. We will bring deed, wear long sleeve shirts and long light pants. Not sure the condition of the GHs in Burman, should we bring a mosquito net?

#4 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 23:44

• dawemmy

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2010

Most guesthouses are equipped with mosquito nets. Western style hotels spray for mosquitoes and you can ask them to spray again or for a mosquito bat for the odd stray one.

Bring a small sewing kit for nets that are in disrepair or change rooms. While I was there mosquitoes were a nuisance and ruined a night's rest, or a meal. Take the normal precautions but don't let it spoil your holiday. They have small packets of mosquito repellent, very cheap. Always check dates.

#5 Posted: 7/2/2010 - 10:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.