Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cambodia visa in Sai Gon / HCMC

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Has anyone had recent experience obtaining a visa at the Cambodian consulate in Sai Gon / HCMC? Quick turn-around or come back next day?

I realize visas are available on arrival to Cambodia, but we are entering at a small crossing (O'Yadao, b'twn Plei Ku and Ban Lung), and would like to have the visa in hand when we get there. (Though I know this is an option, we don't much fancy mailing our passports off to the Cambodian Embassy where we live.)

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 10:30

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

I made that crossing in July, and visas are available on arrival at the O'Yadaw border crossing, so it's really no problem. The officials at that crossing are very nice and they didn't ever overcharge like they do at many other land crossings.

#2 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 22:52

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Thanks, Lother. Given time frames for us in Sai Gon, it would be a bit of a hassle to deal with the consulate there, so it's good to know you had no problems at O'Yadaw crossing.

Which route did you take to get to Plei Ku and then O'Yadaw? We intend to spend a couple of nights in Kon Tum prior to heading for the border, and want to accomplish Kon Tum > Ban Lung in one day.

What was the state of the road on the Cambodian side when you traveled there?

Cheers!

#3 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 23:17

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Yeah, we were also in Kon Tum, a nice spot. We took a minibus from there to Pleiku . From Pleiku there are buses and minibuses to Duc Co near the border, from where moto drivers will take you to the crossing for about 60 000 dong. It's pretty easy, but literally no-one in Pleiku speaks English. My Vietnamese is pretty much non-existent, but sign language did the trick :).

The only problem with this crossing is on the Cambodian side - at least as of last July there was no onwards transportation of any sort apart from the border officials' car, which we ended up riding to Ban Lung. For more details, see my post on this thread:
    http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/6629

#4 Posted: 19/3/2010 - 23:50

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Thanks, Lother!

Sounds like an adventure. We're looking forward to heading that way in a few months.

BTW, where'd you stay in Kon Tum?

Cheers!

#5 Posted: 20/3/2010 - 00:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.