Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Can anyone help on itinerary Thailand-Siem Reap for 4 days

Posted by pet_united on 27/3/2010 at 15:25

Hi all,

I'm Indonesian planning a trip with my bf around Sept-Oct 2010. Haven't booked anything yet. Plan for a 5 days budget trip on Bangkok (3 days) and Siem Reap (2 days). Plane arrive & depart on Bangkok.

Is it good if on day 2 We take a bus from Bkk to SR, sightseeing to Angkor Wat, and return to Bkk on day 4? How many hours we need from Bkk to SR? Don't want to waste time on road. And can somebody tell me the total cost of the trip in detail? Is it true that train will take too long?

Thank you in advance

#1 pet_united has been a member since 27/3/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by KazAussie on 30/3/2010 at 14:27

Car and bus would both take too long 6-8hrs from Siem Reap to Bangkok. Even if you fly, you have to figure on losing half a day each way, by the time you are at the airport an hour before the flight etc.... Siem Reap is fantastic and you could easily spend the whole time there. I am not that familiar with Bangkok but guess you could fill five days. I think you are trying to do too much in too short a time.

#2 KazAussie has been a member since 18/7/2009. Posts: 221

Posted by caseyprich on 30/3/2010 at 15:31

Big difference between Siem Reap and Bangkok - depending on what you're looking for out of your experience you might want to adjust plans. I didn't enjoy Bangkok that much coming from Shanghai - seemed like another massive congested city. However, I think you're flying into Bangkok because of the really cheap tickets - then heading over to Siem Reap -- though there are other ruins north of Bangkok (Ayutthaya[1hr/1.5hr] and Sukhothai[6hrs]) without dealing with the border crossing.

If you do the 5 days Bangkok/Cambodia - I'd say you want to depart Bangkok as soon as possible to get to Seam Reap and then return to Bangkok the day before your flight leaves. Maybe that only gives you two nights and no days in Bangkok but you'll have more quality time around the ruins (many travelers recommend 4/5 days in that area on its own). Fly? Certainly, but the airport business as KazAussie stated above.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.