Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Best way to see Angkor Temples with a 4 yr old?

• ZPeppiatt

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2010

Hi,

Had a quick look and couldn't find anything about this, so sorry if it's been posted before. We're planning on spending about a week in Siem Reap late May/early June - it's just the two of us and our 4 yr old son.

The plan is to take it very easy, seeing a few of the 'main' temples over 2 or 3 days, broken up with days in Siem Reap so it's not temples, temples, temples for little 'un. I'd prefer to cycle round if possible, but not sure how feasible this would be with a 4yo. Does anyone know if it's possible to hire bicycles with either child seats or trailers on the back? I suppose he could perch on the crossbar, but I'm guessing that would get rather uncomfortable within a day!

Or would we be better off hiring tuk tuks?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 06:11

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I'd say go for the tuk-tuk with a 4 year old

Finding bicycles (not sure about trailers) shouldn't be a problem but the heat, sun and distance will be an issue.
    May/June is one of the hottest periods and you'll have to cycle a few kilometers just to get to the temples (and a few to get around). And as far as I know the bicycles have no covers to protect you from the sun. A hat will help but doesn't solve everything.

Main reason for tuk-tuk is the cover that provides the necessary shade and wind created by the speed while the sun is beating down on you and the 4-year old. And if you suddenly want to go back to the hotel you'll be happy to have a tuk-tuk on hand.

#2 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 11:17

• ZPeppiatt

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2010

Hmmmm, tuk tuks it is then.

Thanks for the response!

#3 Posted: 24/4/2010 - 20:03

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

You can always look around in SR for a suitable bicycle (and weather-condition) when you arrive but since it is mainly a few childless low-budget backpackers cycling around I wouldn't spend too much time looking for it.
    And although I live in Cambodia my last visit to Angkor was 2 years ago so things might have changed. The weather, however, hasn't so I don't think that bicycle-market will have grown immensely.

Anyway, a few extra dollars for the tuk tuk will make your stay a lot easier/comfortable. And with a bit of luck (check the SR tuk tuk topic in this forum) also more informative.

Good luck and enjoy.

#4 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 09:15

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

Totally agree with Eastwest. Hire a tukk tuk. Plenty of tuk tuk email recomms. from the SR tuk tuk thread. For the cost it is the only way to go. Every time I went past a cyclist I thought you poor soul because of the distances and the heat.

#5 Posted: 15/5/2010 - 21:51

• joe552

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2010
    Total reviews: 2

Personally, I'd ditch the 4 year old - they only cause headaches.

But if you can't bring yourself to do that, then the tuk-tuk is the best idea. The guy I had a couple of years ago was great, and pleasant company when having lunch, etc. Really enjoyed my time with him (3 days).

#6 Posted: 16/5/2010 - 04:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visiting the Angkor temples ... By jackie66 on 3 Jan 2008 3 3721 4 Jan 2008
Cambodia, Siem Reap: Eco-toilets bound for Angkor Wat temples ... By travelfishnews on 3 Mar 2009 0 2406 3 Mar 2009