Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Bag Snatching in Phnom Penh

• themildcat

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010

A warning to you all, especially girls with shoulder bags. Mine was physically ripped off my body by two guys on a moto. It had my passport and all my credit cards etc in it. I know there are warnings about this but my bag strap was quite thick, maybe they even sliced it. A scarier thought.

When I went to the embassy it was full of other people trying to get a new passport because they too had been bag snatched. It's rife.

Leave your **** at home!!!

#1 Posted: 19/4/2010 - 16:11

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Cat,

Sorry to hear it, but glad to know at least that you weren't injured. This kind of thing can happen anywhere, and I had something very similar happen to me in otherwise sleepy little Vientiane, Laos a few years back.

As you said, it is good advice to leave anything of value at home, as it is to wear a money belt or backpack instead of a shoulder bag (or at least wear the shoulder strap across your chest instead of just over the shoulder). I try to use the safety deposit box at my guest house too, if they have one, to help keep my passport and such safer while I'm out and about. None of those methods are fool proof for sure, but at least they'll lower your profile and make you less attractive as a target.

Here's hoping the rest of your trip goes without incident. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 20/4/2010 - 01:43

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, but.. do not keep your passport or credit cards in a shoulder bag; It is so easy to have it taken from you.

I have a bum bag which I have sewn in wire so that it cannot be cut, even then, my passport and anything of value is in a money belt under my clothes. Please just don't carry anything, cameras or bags just over the shoulder, from Thailand to Cambodia, to Laos to Vietnam it is an open & easy invitation to the low lifes out there.

#3 Posted: 2/5/2010 - 06:49

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, but.. do not keep your passport or credit cards in a shoulder bag; It is so easy to have it taken from you.

I have a bum bag which I have sewn in wire so that it cannot be cut, even then, my passport and anything of value is in a money belt under my clothes. Please just don't carry anything, cameras or bags just over the shoulder, from Thailand to Cambodia, to Laos to Vietnam it is an open & easy invitation to the low lifes out there.

#4 Posted: 2/5/2010 - 06:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1300 2 Mar 2014