Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Effordable international school in Phnom Phen?

• thewayitis

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010

Hi all,
    anybody have an advice?The ones we saw in the internet are serveral thousand $$$ per year.
    We know a good one in Sihanoukville for 35$ per month and would be glad to find a correspondent in Phnom Phen in this price range.
    Another solution would be to choose a more expensive one and get a discount through an employment as english teacher.We arrive in Cambodia end of August and will stay probably for good,but at least a couple of years and are looking for work in this field anyway.
    Thank you very much for your suggestions in advance.
    Kind regards
    Thewayitis

#1 Posted: 22/4/2010 - 02:26

• Advertisement

• UCSBrown

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

Good luck finding a job teaching English. Seems like you should take a refresher course yourself. Your post is just a lot of rambling without saying much of what you want other than something dirt cheap.

What kind of school are you looking for? What do you want to study? I can recommend a good culinary school but I doubt that's what you're looking for.

#2 Posted: 22/4/2010 - 02:47

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Actually i'd like to say that an English teacher should not be spelling affordable with an 'e' - so don't know why UCSBrown got the (-1).

As for ""We know a good one in Sihanoukville for 35$ per month and would be glad to find a correspondent in Phnom Phen in this price range.""

I have worked within the international school circuit for 3 years and have friends with over 20 years experience in the field. I can't imagine a school could charge 35$ a month per student and it would have any merit at all - or could even possibly teach in any of the major western languages - English, French, German, Spanish. They simply could not afford to pay their teachers. I also don't know how they could afford classroom materials, textbooks, or even classrooms at that discounted price.

International Schools that are certified IB or IGCSE usually cost thousands of dollars a semester. They are like top end private schools in any country, they cater to either elite local families or foreign families that are being paid on a salary scale that would shock most locals.

Another possibility that some foreigners do in China is to enroll their child in a local school program, at a young enough age (5 or younger) the student can learn the language quickly and adapt - but certificates from Cambodian schools are not as valuable when trying to enter international systems later in life.

Here in China most parents only enroll very young students in such circumstance so that at a young age they can gain a foundation in this now coveted language skill (mandarin). However, around 14/15 almost every foreigner I know will pull their student from these programs so that they can start to focus on the skill sets and thinking modes that are not practiced in Chinese schools but necessary to excel at Western University systems. I don't know if putting a young child in a Cambodian school system would turn out in anyway advantageous.

#3 Posted: 22/4/2010 - 17:16

• thewayitis

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010

Thanks for your replies.
    I didn't consider MCSBrown's repply as helpfull because it's written in a very impolite manner.
    Everybody who finds misspells in my writings can keep them free of charge.:))
    English is not my native language,but i teached conversational English to everybodys satisfaction for a couple of years in a primary and secondary school in Thailand.Since four years i'm using only my native language,so i've got a lack of practise,but still be able to express myself anyway.
    Back to the topic:
    I have no idea how the mentioned school in Sihanoukville is financing itself nor if the school is recogniced by any western standards.
    We're just looking for a affordable primary school for our six year old european child.We'll provide him additional education through an online learning circle as well as home teaching.

#4 Posted: 22/4/2010 - 18:08

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

It is very difficult to find schools that teach an English Language curriculum at an affordable price in Asia. However, if you can find a small unaccredited school in PP you may be able to swing a deal by working with them.

I worked at a Korean school last year in China that is not internationally accredited, but it is affiliated with a Chinese school. All of the students were Korean or native English speakers. The school only went up to the 8th grade, but it offered a good, not great, instruction using American textbooks and curriculum. It was also a Christian school - which put it into a gray area as far as accreditation and enrollment went.

It was still rather expensive, but some of the Filipino and American staff chose to enroll their children in the program for a significant discount on tuition so long as they signed multi-year contracts. It was a very loving and supportive learning environment for all the students. Though the majority of students enrolled were Korean the other students seemed to acquiesce well into the environment at a younger age.

Perhaps your best bet is to research PP for schools like this. Because of their small market it is often difficult to find them. As well, many just opened international schools could offer discounts if you were to offer your services as an after school ESL instructor and the want to increase overall enrollment.

#5 Posted: 22/4/2010 - 19:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
International School Bangkok ... By oriana on 26 Jan 2007 1 1878 26 Jan 2007
Siagon to Phnom Phen ... By steveandlesley on 7 Aug 2007 3 2762 8 Aug 2007
saigon to Phnom Phen ... By mackankara on 9 Mar 2007 3 3144 10 Mar 2007
Flight from Phnom Phen ... By ronyarm on 1 May 2008 5 4237 4 May 2008
Bus from HCMC to Phnom Phen ... By chaeta on 22 Aug 2011 2 3307 5 Sep 2011
Reciving Mail in Phnom Phen ... By kamamo on 18 Mar 2007 1 2401 18 Mar 2007
how do i get from Phnom Phen to Phuket, Thailand ... By dmicha01 on 21 Apr 2011 8 7267 22 Apr 2011
Anyone with some time on there hands in phnom phen ... By brigal on 17 Nov 2007 9 2870 29 Dec 2007
[Phnom Phen / Kampot] Selling honda win ... By SellHondaWin on 16 Feb 2013 5 2219 12 Mar 2013
phnom phen -siem riep forth and back ... By chimik72 on 10 Jan 2007 8 4874 16 Sep 2010